Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
DJCallen

Default Sudden loss of audio, beep/clicks only

I recently installed the most up to dat Mac client for Vent. My guild finally switched to new server setup using the Speex codec. Everything was good, sounded great, easy to use. All of a sudden I log in this weekend and nothing. In fact everytime someone talks, as indicated by the speaker icon next to their name, all I hear is faint beep/click noises aka digital artifacts. Other users seem to be having no problems, but I do not think they are running Macs, at least the couple I was able to check with were not.

Mac 2.7ghz Dual proc, 4.5Gb ram. OS10.4.10
Interface is a Motu 828MK2, latest drivers installed, connected via Firewire 400

Codec: Speex
Format: 16KHz, 16Bit, 9 Qlty
(As a side note, I have been unable to make any changes to these settings, they will not save)

Please any help will be greatly apreciated. I have recently been promoted to an Officer in my guild, and vent is a requirement.

Thank you in advance.
DJCallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
Ithril

The MOTU can have up to 20 inputs and 22 outputs so if other audio equipment is connected, mixer software etc, then the matrix could be messed up controlling the I/O.

I don't know if Ventrilo might have trouble interpreting the I/O channels depending on where you have the microphone, speakers, stereo headset, etc, connected.
Ithril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
DJCallen

Thumbs down

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately this is not the solution. Nothing in my audio I/O setup has changed since last weekend, when vent was working fine.

New information: The audio notification when someone joins or leaves the channel plays correctly. This leads me to believe that the audio setup is correct, and I know it is not a driver issue. I also assume it is not a wide spread mac related problem, as many of you seem to have things working just fine. This leads me to think it may be a server side setting issue, but I am not sure.

In regards to the codec settings available from the drop down list, are these set by the sever admin, or the client user? If they are set by the client (me) I am unable to make any permenent changes, it always resets back to Speex 16bit Qlty 9. Does this tell us anything?

Thank you again in advance.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Flagship
Administrator

The multichannel configuration of that unit most likely is causing the problem. But I would like to get it fixed if only to say that we support these types of configurations.

I'll contact them to see if I can get a loaner (since I would have no use for one) and maybe get a fix in the client after the next release.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
wadesworld

Quote:
In regards to the codec settings available from the drop down list, are these set by the sever admin, or the client user?
Set by the server admin.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
DJCallen

Thank you for taking such an interest in my problem. I do not have high hopes that the problem is within the setup of my 828mk2. This is due to two main factors.

1. I am getting audio when people enter and exit the channel, even though it is nothing more that the wav file stating someone entered or left the channel.

2. It was working last week, with no changes having been made to the audio interface, its drivers, or its configuration in the interim.

Having said this, I understand something has to have changed, and am open to any and all possible solutions. I am most curious as to the possible relation of the codec quality setting to my issue.

Thanks again,
Callen
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Flagship
Administrator

I doubt the problem is codec related, and I have very high suspicion that the problem is a bug in the program it self. That's why I would like to get my hands on one for testing / development. If I can fix it for you I most likely wind up solving other similarly related problems.

The TTS sounds run through a different piece of code which would explain why they work.