Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Inali

Angry Evil Codecs

Hello,

I have played mmorpg's on my mac for several years. When voice chat started to become popular I have to say it kinda made it tough for us mac users because a lot of guilds/clans require this software to do big events and sometimes even be in the guild. Finally it came out on mac. I go to my friends server and boom, I get the GSM codec error. My guild changed the server to speex and they are pissed they say it sounds like crap compared to the old codec and are changing back immediately. Is there any way you can include this codec in a patch or new version or something soon. Until then I can't even use the program. Thanks in advance for any help or comments.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
wadesworld

Did your guild change to a speex setting that is the equivalent of GSM and download the Windows beta? An equivalent setting should sound just as good. If they didn't download the beta or tried a lower-level Speex setting, then it's not surprising they had problems.

If your guild isn't willing to work with you to get it working, I'd change guilds.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
gramathy

They must not have updated to the newest version. My guild has had no change in quality since the switch, so yours must have changed something wrong.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Gizzmos13

My problem is that the people who are in control of our server (ngrservers) claim that changing the codex is to lower the quality; which we paid for the high quality one. So they say if we want to change the codex, we should have signed up for the crappy server. Hence they wont change it.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
PopeZaphod

So you're paying a company to provide you a service... and they refuse to provide you the service you're paying for?

Why the hell is anyone doing business with ngrservers?

My guild switched codecs and most people think it sounds BETTER now than it ever did with GSM.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
Inali

My guild tried all the different settings. The guild I am in is pretty big and they do Blackwing lair, Molten Core, and Onyxia runs pretty much every day. The more people who are on the vent server the lower the quality with speex, they have 40 people + talking in the same channel for these big raids and speex just can't seem to handle it. For the moment I have to have a friend of mine Direct Connect radio me via nextel to tell me what the scenario and strategy is for bosses and such, which is very much so frustrating.

Yea like I am gonna leave one of the best guilds on my server, which soon will be decking me out in full stormrage and cenarion gear, because they won't change to a lower quality codec =/. Maybe I will join a 10 man mac guild and never get to do any of the fun parts of the game, no thanks, then I can use vent to do 5 man low instance runs woohoo. I have been known as the "mac guy" and the "NO vent guy" for years. Is it really that tough to incorporate gsm to the mac vent?

It would be nice to get a reply from official ventrilo staff on this issue.

Last edited by Inali; 11-25-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Flagship
Administrator

I run a server for a WoW guild that has 40+ people doing the same kind of raids that you mentioned. They are all in the same channel and the server is configured for Speex 32Khz, 9 Qlty and works just fine. They even told me the other day that it sounds just as good as the GSM codec and now their two Mac users can play and use Vent at the same time.

The system works fine.
Closed Thread