Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
zayzayem

Default Ummm... no

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramathy
http://ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9540

This makes it pretty clear to me that GSM will be included eventually.
Doesn't to me. Flagship basically says it doesn't know much about macs and so you should try an reconfigure your server (and too bad for all of us with professionally hosted servers).

Could someone from Flagship/Ventrilo make a clear statement addressing the issue of codec expansion for future Mac clients. It appears to be a very major issue amongst us Mac users.

Thx.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
wadesworld

Quote:
Reason: I am guild master in a warcraft raiding guild - a new guy that just came in can't use vent on raids

The reason I am here is to see if that if I can find a way for him to get himself set up via an emulator or an improved version of the codecs, but if they dont exist I am afraid he will have to leave. And I am afraid no more mac users will be joining.
Huh? Why would you not just change your server to Speex so that Mac users can be in your guild? It's your guild, whomever pays for the server (presumably you) can change it at anytime.

As long as you have your Windows users upgrade to 2.3.2 beta 3 (which is production quality and recommended by the developer) then you should experience no problems and will find that Speex gives quality which is equal to, if not superior to GSM.

I joined 3 different raids yesterday which were being run by large guilds and all three had their servers configured for Speex.

Last edited by wadesworld; 11-05-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
wadesworld

Quote:
o you should try an reconfigure your server (and too bad for all of us with professionally hosted servers).
Huh? Why is it too bad if you have a professionally hosted server. Do you think you're not allowed to change your codec or something?

Most of the professional hosting companies have a web-based control panel which allows you to change the codec. I use typefrag.com and accomplished the change in under 15 seconds. (Select new codec, click restart server).

If your hosting company does not have a web-based control panel, then you simply contact their support department and ask for the change to be made.

Quote:
Could someone from Flagship/Ventrilo make a clear statement addressing the issue of codec expansion for future Mac clients.
He has made a clear statement. He has said it will no longer be an issue with the next major release. What he hasn't said is when that release will be coming, and he's not likely to until it's ready. Thus, since nobody knows whether it's coming next week, next month or next year, you're better off spending your energy convincing your guild to make the switch. Flagship is very aware of the issue, but he's not going to release something until he's ready.

Last edited by wadesworld; 11-05-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Closed Thread