Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
Sylvar

Default Problems Staying Connected

Hi. I run on a mac, version 10.4.10 and im having a problem where i connect to a server and for the first 5-10 seconds i can hear whats being said. After that everything stops. My ping then rockets up from 100-140 to 13000. I cant tell if i get disconnected or if vent freezes or what happens. after it reaches 13000 i cant hear anyone or do anything. Just hoping you have heard of this and its a quick fix. Any help would be great.
Sylvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
wadesworld

Sounds like your ISP is performing traffic shaping on the Ventrilo traffic. It works at first because it takes the packet shaping engine some time to recognize the traffic, then once it does, it throttles it back.

Who is your ISP? Do you happen to live in a college dorm?
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Sylvar

I use shaw and no not in a dorm. It worked for the past year and as of 2 weeks ago it just quit. No real reason it shouldnt be working that i can see.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
wadesworld

Does it happen on all servers, or just one?

I'd contact Shaw and find out of they've recently implemented traffic shaping. Many, many ISP's are, so it's not a stretch to think that it could "just stop working one day."
Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Sylvar

Ya i tried all the computers in my house. Both Mac and Windows and all the different ports in my house and none of them seem to work so it must be something with my provider. Of course there had to be a storm the past 2 days and all the lines are busy reporting downed lines and what not. Know of any way to get rid of traffic shaping on my own?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
wadesworld

Nope. You're at the mercy of your provider.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Sylvar

They said that they have been doing it for years. Also they said they havnt added anything so it should work the same as before. So if "traffic shaping" isnt it is there any other possibilities?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
wadesworld

Well, it's not some Ventrilo bug that has suddenly simultaneously manifested itself on the computers across your house. It's also not some OS bug, since it's happening on both Windows and Mac OS.

It's possible that your router is acting up if you have one.

Try directly connecting a computer to your Internet connection and see if that solves the problem. If it does, your router is likely to blame, and maybe a simple power cycle will fix it.

If that doesn't work, try taking a computer to a friend's house (preferably with a different ISP) and see if it works there. If it does, then Shaw is likely incorrect that nothing has changed. You have to remember that you're talking to a first-level tech support person, probably in an outsourced tech support center, who has absolutely zero knowledge on the workings of the network. They know how to read a script, reset a modem and dispatch a service call, and that's it. So in short, it's quite possible that something has changed, but they have no idea that it has.