Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 10-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
amamoto

i would happily volunteer to be a beta tester for any fix to ducking.
amamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #22
Omicron

Hate to bump this again, but any updates on this at all?

Also, this upcoming 4.0 release, will this finally have Linux support? It was mentioned that it is a complete rewrite, and I assume the point of this is to clean up the code and re implement some stuff on more portable libraries.
Omicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #23
amamoto

microsoft is starting to push out windows 10 as a windows 7/8 system update.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #24
amamoto

nevermind. our ventrilo provider allows us to switch to other voip servers at no cost. mumble seems to handle our needs. we did try to make this work. but ducking not working was a deal breaker.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #25
Omicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amamoto View Post
nevermind. our ventrilo provider allows us to switch to other voip servers at no cost. mumble seems to handle our needs. we did try to make this work. but ducking not working was a deal breaker.
Will have to ditto that. Aside from the ducking thing, the TS/Mumble already offer encryption and better voice codec support from the get-go.

I always liked Vent due to its relative reliability and interface, but the lack of communication on the update front is frustrating. I had to switch as well.

It would be nice if the old Ventrilo 2.3.X code branch was open sourced so I could add in the above functionality while keeping its simplicity (sticking to what appears to be the Win32 API for most functions.)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #26
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

I'll try to get a status on this as i'm using win10 now too.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #27
amamoto

Quote:
It would be nice if the old Ventrilo 2.3.X code branch was open sourced so I could add in the above functionality while keeping its simplicity (sticking to what appears to be the Win32 API for most functions.)
I second this, let us at least help on the client side.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #28
Omicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amamoto View Post
I second this, let us at least help on the client side.
Although I doubt that would ever happen.

People (such as me) use Ventrilo because we have an attachment to it (nostalgic or otherwise,) not because it's the only or even best solution out there (by far.) Although I use other programs now due to all of the restrictions and issues.

I get the client restrictions and closed source due to money. However, at this point, it seems a bit pointless as the market has expanded to plenty of other VOIP solutions. Few guilds and groups even use it anymore.

I (and likely other open source developers) would absolutely love to revive the program from its current (or preferably less complex 2.3.x branch) so that it keeps the core essence of Ventrilo, but is far improved on other fronts.

No idea how much revenue Vent draws in as of presently, but I cannot imagine it is much as it used to be in 2006-2010...

At the least, we would like to hear more info on the program's 4.0 status as well as possible negotiations for personal licenses (TS does it, Mumble has no need for it, and irrelevant to other P2P central programs and apps.)

Last edited by Omicron; 12-18-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #29
Omicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
I'll try to get a status on this as i'm using win10 now too.
Any other developments on this front?

I think the target for 4.0 was either Q4 2015 or Q1 2016, so we're not past that yet.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #30
Omicron

I tried making a post requesting a possible 3.0.9 update (just to hold us over) with Opus support for another codec option (although it looks like it did not get approved.)

What's going on? It's almost if vent really is completely abandoned as there are no updates at all on this issue, nor any details on 4.0.

I understand not everything can or should be communicated, but no updates at all almost suggests no more updates are even in development.