Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
sarsparilla

Default server doesn't realize that users have left the server

I am having an issue with my vent server (linux, v2.3.1) where when users leave the server, the server doesn't seem to acknowledge it for a few minutes. Everything else is smooth, pings are good and switching channels doesn't create any issues. Is there a command or an option in my ventrilo_srv.ini that I am missing that can take care of this? I've searched the topic and only found one thread that was unresolved.
Code:
[Server]

Name=progressionbackup
Phonetic=progression
Port=3784
Auth=1
Duplicates=1
AdminPassword=************
Password=********
MaxClients=8
SendBuffer=0
RecvBuffer=0
Diag=0
LogonTimeout=5
CloseStd=1
TimeStamp=1
PingRate=10
ExtraBuffer=0
ChanWidth=0
ChanDepth=0
ChanClients=0
DisableQuit=1
VoiceCodec=0
VoiceFormat=1
SilentLobby=0
AutoKick=0

[Intf]

# Examples:
#
# Intf=192.168.0.30
# Intf=external.********.com
# Intf=internal.********.com
# Intf=127.0.0.1
sarsparilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

you're probably seeing "zombies" (for lack of a better term). these are left over when users disconnect abnormally. it takes the server awhile to clear them. At this time I don't think there's anything you can do. check back again as someone else may have a solution.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
sarsparilla

Okay, thanks for the info. For what it's worth, it's whenever anyone disconnects from the server, whether they press the "disconnect" button or just exit out of ventrilo.
sarsparilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Predator

I have the same problem with my server. When i had it in windows xp no problems but now that i run it on a feodora linux server same problem.

Hope someone finds a way to fix it.
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
detard

I'm still having a lot of trouble with this. I am disconnecting via the disconnect button (and sometimes via the Close button) and it doesn't matter it seems. It's really annoying when I get a message from someone in the game I'm playing asking why I'm ignoring them and why I'm not responding only to find out the server I left 10 min ago doesn't recognize I'm gone. Is there a problem with it properly closing its connection in some new WinXP patch maybe? I have a feeling that TCPIP.SYS has been patched and not closing the connection the way it used to, though I cannot be certain of this.
detard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
detard

My problem is now solved and thought I'd share what helped. I had a Netgear FVS114 router, and ever since I got it, I've had problems where it'd randomly lag out and I'd have to do a cold restart of it (couldn't ping it's LAN address, can't get to the Internet, etc). Well apparently me disconnecting from Ventrilo on any server, at any time, wasn't being acknowledged by the servers I was on because of this router. I recently got Vonage and with that I decided to get new phones and all, including a base station that is my router essentially though I don't have multi-port capabilities (I'll get a switch if I need it). It has been very stable for me and I noticed last night that I no longer have a problem with logging off of Ventrilo, it is now an instant logout. Hope this helps someone else.
detard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Jjwillis

I had similar problems with my internet phone. My games became alot more laggy and ventrilo was bad too. I am not sure exactly what the cause is, but I would guess it is this (can some techie verify or dscount this theory?) I think these phone routers prioritize phone calls to enhance the call quality... at the same time, it de-prioritizes the rest of the traffic. I believe that once this leaves your house, lots of delays can happen.

I was too lazy to do anything really. Phone was not important to me, so I attached the router to a switch and the computers to the switch, therefore by passing this "prioritization" of my computer traffic. That did the trick.
Jjwillis is offline   Reply With Quote