Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #21
plzhelp

elad2210 is having the same problem as us guys.. he's from israel too
Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #22
Massada

Quote:
priority of the packages
I am unfortunately not professional enough to really understand what the problem here even could be about. However, after reading what ron and drsterni mentioned, and after realizing that i am not the only one in the country who has this significant ping problems (I have the impression that every Israeli has) I can imagine that there must be a general problem.

how exactly could the priority of the packages be changed? can we do anything about it? I mean, Israel is known as a hightech center in the world, so something like this would really surprize me.

moreover, did you find anything out about changing the port, doc? were the links i sent you via PM helpful?

catch you guys later and hope for the best,
cheers
Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
Dr.Sterni

These priorities can only be changed by the provider himself. They are actually in charge of things like these. The reason for that is as follows:

Imagine you are ISP (internet service provider) and hopefully have a large amount of customers. The amount of traffic which sums up every day is really HUGE in that case. But your own traffic is limited by your backbone and the money you are willing to spend on the lines which connect you to your own world-provider through his backbone.

What you could do in order to save yourself some money and by the time not really limiting the ports or the possibly uses services (which could be a big chance to substract a lot of traffic) is setting the priorities of the traffic. For instance you would give standard web-traffic a very high priority, but instead limit down the packets which are in use only for a few customers. This means that of course you would send them through still allowing your customers to use them, but you put far more focus on the standard-ports which are obviously the main money-maker. And if there's space and time enough to send all the data for the non-standard-traffic you send them through, while you would send through the standard-packets immidiately.

Is that clear? Don't know. Hope so

Ron8711, please write down your server and ingame-name here, too. I'm so sorry but I just don't find the time to do our test today again, but I don't remeber the ingame-data... I will get back to you as soon as possible. We have quite a lot to do right now in the guild as we were welcoming a whole bunch of people who have a lot of questions and stuff like that. I have to take care of that first... B.t.w.: I was trying to reach you via PM, but I can't as I am not allowed to. Could you change that for me, please?

Greetings, Doc.

Last edited by Dr.Sterni; 04-29-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #24
ron8711

Come on guys, it can't be that we are the only ones experiencing this problem in Israel, the problem is happening on 4 different ISPs at least, and I don't think blaming them is a valid solution anymore(would someone knowledgeable with ventrilo make a comment as to why this could be happening?).

Israelis, keep this thread alive!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
Dr.Sterni

Just to let you know: Our Ventrilo-Provider (company ITPlanet-Web.de) received the contact-data of Massada's providers in order to talk things over on an international provider-related basis since yesterday... Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #26
Massada

Yeah, I hope that it will help. Keep us updated doc
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #27
Dr.Sterni

kk, here's another one:

Ron and me were testing the connection from his machine to our ventrilo-server here in germany. Interpretation is allowed, but here's the "result":

No result

The connection itself seemed to be possible. Ron put his speakers on and rooted them through his mike, so I could hear the latency. And - sorry to say - that was just redicilous. No communication possible. The data went through the lines like snail-mail... I had a ping of about 33, Ron had about 33000 (no joke!). Better write letters instead of using Ventrilo here... Also the ventrilo-chat was nearly impossible to follow... so we kept on communicating via WoW, which was far easier (although we had to tipe every word into the chat).

Well, coming back to the interpretation: I think this "result" is not too bad, as now we have at least two people (Massada and Ron) from Isreal connection to the same server, which is running smoothly as satin here in Germany. Both have exactly the same problems. They use different providers, that's also interesting. This shows that there MUST be an international provider-problem.

I would like to know if there's the possibility to try out a TeamSpeak-Server, but unfortunately I don't have one. Another interesting test would be connecting from my computer in Germany to an Isralian server which is running well. I already have the adress of Ron's machine and also tried it out, but I don't know if he could not hear me or if there was another problem. This means: I was on the server and Ron was there, too, but he didn't react. Don't know why. Could you hear or see me, Ron?

To be honest I start to believe that there's someone just sniffing the lines, but probably with a pentium II machine running on about 100 MHz or so... If so: HEY GUYS, WE ARE NO TERRORISTS TO LISTEN TO, WE ARE GAMERS!

Another solution still could be a strange priority-setting of packages or a port- or data-limit between international providers.

Best regards, Doc.

Last edited by Dr.Sterni; 05-02-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
ron8711

TeamSpeak, Skype , Ventrilo 2.1 : all these work perfectly.

Ventrilo 2.3+ doesn't work at all.

p.s. I was probably afk when you tried talking to me on the israeli vent.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
Dr.Sterni

I'll try again...
Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #30
Massada

msn, teamspeak, skype, etc. also work perfectly for me. however, i only have problems with ventrilo 3.0.1

i tried ventrilo 3.0.1 with my headset from work and it seemed to work properly. however, doc, you know that from time to time it also works for me at home, so i don't know how reliable this short test might be.

also, if you guys wanna integrate me in your research of this problem, just let me know when and how, and i'll be on the server as well. i would be very interested if ventrilo 2.1 also works for me - is there any possibility to try this out, doc/ron?

moreover, doc, is there anything new from the guy who're running the trilo server? what did they say?

furthermore, i wanna let you guys know about that i found a homepage of a company in israel which deals with ventrilo servers: http://www.darkstarllc.com/ this is a licensed hosting company in israel, and i suppose that if there is a company like this there must be a sollution to the problem. it is only questionable if they'll help us out while not being their clients.

anyways, i hope to hear from you soon,
cheers

Last edited by Massada; 05-04-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Closed Thread