Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Massada

@ plzhelp: this, to be honest, might be the only reasonable explanation for me so far. I changed my provider already a few month ago becaus of the ventrilo lags (now my provider is NetVision); I also formated my computer and went over the firewall settings with some friends of mine who basically know what they are doing. however, no change. the only thing which stayed in my connection is HOT, and therefore a cable-internet-connection. maybe it's worth trying to change the cable internet connection to ADSL? i don't know; but i am really starting to get pissed already.

so you're also using cable, plzhelp?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
plzhelp

yeap.. HOT cable...
gonna make trace tonight.. ill write here results
Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
ron8711

hey guys I'm from Israel as well and I have the same problem exactly generally spikey ventrilo connection and I can't communicate at all.

I've tried :
Bezeq International via Hot
Netvision via Hot
012(Golden Lines) via Hot

and last Netvision via Bezeq

they all have the same problem so don't bother wasting more money to change from hot to bezeq.

By the way I'm not sure if this happens to the rest of you Israelis but I get the same issue on 2.3. Ventrilo 2.1 is the only vent I have no lag in.

please someone help us, this problem really makes it impossible for us to talk on vent.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
Massada

Hi,

I just connected to ventrilo 3.0.1 from my office and there are no complains so far. i have no headset connected, but i can hear everything very clear. beautiful: this is exactly the way vent should work from home as well.

i try to figure out what ISP, provider and speed they are using here.

@ron8711: thanx for letting us know about that you have the same issues, and that you tried several combinations of providers & ISP already. i would be also interested what speed your (plzhelp & ron8711) internet connection has: mine is 1.5 MBit, which is slow but might be a reason, too (but i am not sure - i'm not an expert). did you ever check faster lines than 1.5MBit, ron8711?

i was speculating about to change my ISP to Bezeq, thus in getting DSL instead of Cable with a speed of 8MBit. But after what you told us, ron8711, I am absolutly not sure if this will bring about a solution.

again, i wanna say that i didn't have any issues with ventrilo since round about 6 month ago. but since than i keep on having trouble nonestop

p.s. just realized that the ping jumped once to 1250, however, it was only for a second and than went back to normal 115. i really hope that it's not ony working well because i have no haedset connected though).

Last edited by Massada; 04-28-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: p.s.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #15
Dr.Sterni

Question

Oh my god...

This problem really seems to chase me

I was trying to help Massade now a couple of times, as we play in the same WoW-Guild in Germany and communication is the key to work together as a team consisting now of more than 40 members. We simply do NEED ventrilo and secondly we pay quite an amount of money for the server every month, so I want this problem to be fixed. Simple as can be... But I'm doing my best to solve the situation, but at this point I am really lost.

What we found out already (which is also stated here in the forum at another place) is that Avast (V4.8?) in combination with WoW and Ventrilo seems to be one of the ping-killers. Since we sorted that out and threw away this program from Massada's machine, everything worked smooth as satin for about one or two weeks. Suddenly the problems arose again.

When I read ron8711's I get a little sad as this was the only solution which came to my mind after following every little bit which could cause the problem.

I can assure that on Massada's machine there's NOTHING to be able to cause this problem any more. I had a remote-connection to his machine from Germany and had the chance to track every little thingy down to the last bit. There is no disturbing AV-program, no portblockers, no falsely configured firewalls, the hardware-firewall (through the router) is also perfectly setup... blablabla. I have NO clue at all, how the problem is caused. The provider-idea was my (fore-)last hope.

After reading your statements I agree that changing the provider (for the 2nd time in Massada's case) would be as helpful than opening the window and throwing his money out onto the streets.

The only thing which now comes to my mind is the backbone between the Isrealian providers and the German ones. Does anybody know who takes care of transferring the data between Germany and Isreal? There must be a world-provider somehow who runs the backbones, don't you think so?

By the way @ron8711 and plzhelp: Which country are you trying to connect to? Also to Germany? Please say "yes" here otherwise this last idea is also for the dumps .

Please answer this, so I can decide if following this little trace seems to be worth it.

I also see a last chance of simply testing it out. I'd like to build up a connection with all of you on OUR server (which is an officially hosted server by ITPlanet Web under Linux V3.0.2) to see how your connections react to our server here in this little country. And vice-versa: Do we have the chance to connect to an Isrealean Ventrilo-Server? You in your country and me connecting from Germany?

@Massada: when you connect from your office and the connection seems to be fine - what happens when you start talking? Do the pings stay the same?

I really DO hope that we'll find the bug somehow...

Hope this was understandable, English is not my native language.

Yours, Doc.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #16
Narzul

I'm having the same problem for months now. I've done all the conventional steps (talk with my ISPs for hours, running Tracert, checking upload\download, configuring router et.), and even switched ISPs from Kavey Zahav to Netvision\Barak and bought a new router.

There was a thread on the subject with no solution, and the WWW doesn't show one either.

I really hope someone can solve this, and if you can feel free to contact me in WoW, my char. name's Narzul and I play on the Hellfire Horde server.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
Massada

hey doc, your english is great; don't worry.

unfortunately i don't have the possibility to connect a headphone or microphone at work, however, i realized that the connection is stable which is never the case when i "shut up" at home. when people start talking, or even without blubbering, the ping goes up to the sky and i get a disconection after a few seconds.

nonetheless, i might try to smuggle in my headset at wednesday in order to try it from here. hope it works out.

@narzul: we play allianz on Tirion/Germany

Last edited by Massada; 04-28-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #18
Dr.Sterni

Thanks, Massada.

That's also a great idea. Please try this out... Anyway I'll stick to my offer: Whenever you guys from Isreal want to try out the connection and maybe find some strange differences, let me know....
Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
ron8711

Massada - I connect using 2.5dl/512ul , I don't really think the speed has anything to do with it.

Dr.Sterni - Wish my guildies would care enough to try and help me(or well, there's 3 israelis in the guild and they all have the same problem) .
The server I'm connecting to is located in Amsterdam , but I would have no problem at all to connect to your server if it means progressing towards solving this problem.

Do any of you guys have the same problems with Israeli 3.0 servers ? I don't know any so I haven't tried, might be an important bit of information.

I've read in some of the other "massive ping spike" threads that the problem has something to do with ISP's treating ventrilo as a low priority and that the packet shaping isn't all that, think it's possible here as well(For every single ISP aswell -.-)?

p.s. could you leave your ingame name so we can have a real time chat , I don't like using the forums for these sort of technical problems that much.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Dr.Sterni

Great stuff, we're getting at least somewhere!

Thanks ron8711 for your will to help out with this connection-trial

I hope that Massada has nothing against me posting our both ingame-names.

We play WoW on a german speaking server called "Tirion" on the alliance-side. Massada's ingame name is (guess what) "Massada" and mine is "Drsterni". I also play my twink very often which is called "Derdoc".

I'll send our Ventrilo-server data via PM if you are still interested, okay? Just let me know, please. We used to have some unknown and unwanted folks on our server every now and then, since we un-published our server-password. B.t.w. if your guildies don't care too much: if you're looking for a nice, upcoming and helpful guild and don't mind playing alliance on a german server, let me know. HYPE could be your solution^^

What about the others? Narzul, plzhelp & maybe also Prog-Rocker?

Concerning the Amsterdam-server: isn't the main backbone both for Amsterdam sitting in Frankfurt, Germany? I don't know but as far as I know the main-traffic jumps off over there... Well, maybe they'll have a similar huge backbone in Amsterdam, also. Don't know...

Another idea was asking our Ventrilo-Provider to change the port of our server-instance. They did not react yet but maybe I'll have the answer tomorrow. Our server is still running under port no. 25063 and maybe that also causes problems. Don't know why but I have the strange feeling, that the isrealian companies don't like ports about 9999. Really just a feeling, I have no idea where that comes from...

Your idea with the priority of the packages sounds also very, very good!! I never came to that idea. Maybe that could be a reason, also.

Hope to hear from you soon. Greetings, Doc.

Last edited by Dr.Sterni; 04-28-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Closed Thread