Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Schizmit

Unhappy Macintosh Codec

I have been using a mac for quite sometime, last time i looked into using ventrillo on my mac was about 7 months ago. I struggled with connecting to many servers due to the compatibilty issue with the speex codec and windows user that do not have the server set to speex.

I understand that it is easily resolved by asking the server host to switch the codec to speex, to allow mac users to communicate with others.

However, I dont understand why the mac client allows you to choose other codecs (that essentially do nothing).

Why are these options only available to PC users. Why is that 7 months later since the last time i looked into this there has been on progress made? Is this something that mac users should just come to terms with?

Is the default codec setting for servers of PC users GMS 6.10?

Like seriously...maybe Im being a bit snarky here, as I have no idea what it takes to program such things, however its seems like the I should find an alternative program to ventrillo all together if I want to communicate at all.

It might be simple to just switch the codec, but if you are a first timer into a specific guild/clan/whatever, and they are set up on something other than a Speex codec, do you really think they are going to shut down the server just so one new person that they dont even know can talk.

I dont know about you guys, but I have asked and got told to "Go &*%# Myself" and buy a PC that runs "REAL VENT"
Schizmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
wadesworld

Quote:
I dont know about you guys, but I have asked and got told to "Go &*%# Myself" and buy a PC that runs "REAL VENT"
If a group told you that, quit it immediately. Seriously.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Schizmit

thanks but that doesnt solve my problem now does it
Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
Schizmit

and from further reading on other threads it seems like the speex codec is not great on quality, fuzzing and causes communications issues due to its lack of quality. So why would an entire server on a working codec want to change there sound quality? I dont blame them for not want to go to the speex codec if this sound quality is going to make things difficult.

I read several threads on archives here, from months ago, where several people ask at what point we were going to be put on a gsm codec, and most of the replys are

"stop asking, you are filling the thread with the same damn thing over and over again, the issue has been address"

but these are post from over 7 months ago, so clearly nothing has been addressed cause this is the exact same problem, but 7 months later.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
wadesworld

Quote:
and from further reading on other threads it seems like the speex codec is not great on quality, fuzzing and causes communications issues due to its lack of quality.
Absolutely incorrect.

Quote:
where several people ask at what point we were going to be put on a gsm codec,
The question has been answered very clearly many times on these boards. There will not be GSM support in the Mac client unless Apple adds GSM support to the operating system.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
mafro

there has been gsm support in the X11 department though for a long time.... even open source libraries to open up and work with...

http://www.lettv.de/drupal/index.php?q=node/73

http://xanim.polter.net/xa_whatisit.html

They likely will never include gsm in core audio because its a crappy dated codec. If Gsm actually decides to develop a VBR version that you know doesnt suck we might see it in 10.6 lol.

I really just wish they would change the global default codec for all ventrilo servers to speex so everyone would treat gsm like they treat speex now.... ignore it's existance. Since the recent changes and improvements in the variable bitrate system it has proven itself to be overall a better sounding and more efficient codec... especially compared to the old speex codec....

Last edited by mafro; 04-19-2008 at 12:13 PM.
mafro is offline   Reply With Quote