Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
mjgraf

any changes to the server like this requires the server to be restarted.
is this a professional or personally hosted server?
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #12
logistify

personal... so what im getting is this; since out of the blue this error has occurred, i have to tell my admin to change the server and restart it? im pretty sure the admin did so the first night it occurred, and it made no difference. ill double check to see if she restarted.
logistify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #13
logistify

and yes she did restart it

my question now is this... why after 6 months of nothing, this error report comes up? ive changed nothing and my admin has changed nothing. even when we went to 3.0.1, no error report or nothing.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
Whuntmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
They can reconfigure the server for Speex and restart it.
they are all running win xp, and they won't do this. they are not gonna change a working process for one person.

why wasn't the mac version made to run the GSM codec? Can't it be made to be more compatible with people running GSM 6.10 codec?
Whuntmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
wadesworld

Quote:
they are all running win xp, and they won't do this. they are not gonna change a working process for one person.
It will still be a working process after they change it.

Quote:
why wasn't the mac version made to run the GSM codec?
Because Apple does not include the GSM codec like Microsoft does.

Quote:
Can't it be made to be more compatible with people running GSM 6.10 codec?
Not unless Apple decides to incorporate the GSM codec.

Five minutes of work will remove this incompatibility forever - not just for you, but for any other Mac users that come after you.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
wadesworld

Quote:
my question now is this... why after 6 months of nothing, this error report comes up?
Computer programs don't reconfigure themselves. Perhaps the host had a hard drive failure and restored all Ventrilo configurations to default.

You're saying that when connected, your setup tab shows Speex as the codec but you still get that message?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
logistify

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Computer programs don't reconfigure themselves. Perhaps the host had a hard drive failure and restored all Ventrilo configurations to default.

You're saying that when connected, your setup tab shows Speex as the codec but you still get that message?
when i connect, even when she reconfigured/restarted, my codec still showed gsm 6.10, and when i changed to speex the error still came up. were going to try it tonight again, but if it doesnt work im done with vent till they can fix this.

but if she didnt have a hard drive failure, which i doubt she did, is there any possible way this comes out of nowhere? i know you said they dont reconfigure themselves, but im close to believing that ventrilo went to GSM 6.10 without her knowing and now im screwed.

and please, give me a straight answer without asking another question... and if that answer is "well youre S*** out of luck," ill take that in stride, because ive taken this whole deal in stride, no matter how frustrated its made me.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
wadesworld

Quote:
when i connect, even when she reconfigured/restarted, my codec still showed gsm 6.10,
This means she did not successfully change the codec. When you're connected, it won't show GSM unless the server is configured for GSM.

Quote:
and when i changed to speex the error still came up.
You cannot change to Speex. Changing the codec in the client has zero effect. She has to make the change properly on her end.

Just to be clear - by "change the codec and restart" we don't mean "select Speex in her client and restart". We mean change the ventrilo_srv.ini file and restart the server program. I suggest the following values:

VoiceCodec = 3
VoiceFormat = 20

Quote:
but if it doesnt work im done with vent till they can fix this.
If by "them" you mean Ventrilo, there's nothing for them to fix. A server properly configured for Speex is compatible with Macs.

Quote:
s there any possible way this comes out of nowhere? i know you said they dont reconfigure themselves, but im close to believing that ventrilo went to GSM 6.10 without her knowing and now im screwed.
No, Ventrilo did not secretly drop Speex support.

Last edited by wadesworld; 01-31-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #19
weave

Thanks Lads, I was going nuts there for while.
Now I know I have to persuade the rest of the lads to swing over.
Or I am SOL.

Cheers
weave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
Teliniar

Can someone tell me step by step, just how the server admin would reconfigure the codec?
Teliniar is offline   Reply With Quote