Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 07-04-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
kdevita

Unhappy Twilight Zone Server! Requesting help!

Problem: Server that was running fine, is now "not found" when I try to connect to it (or anyone else for that matter!).

History: I was playing a game online and having some minor problems. I went into my Linksys Setup screen to Applications and Gaming to open up more ports. A little while later I re-started my computer. At this point I was not able to connect to Ventrilo anymore. It ceased to operate!

Server Setup: I have a Linksys wireless router with 2 PCs connected directly to it and a laptop that connects via the wireless feature (the laptop was not on during this time). The Ventrilo Server is on one PC (IP was 192.168.1.102), and I play games and run the Ventrilo client on my second PC (IP was 192.168.1.101).

I have the server on a PC that uses the DMZ feature of the router. I leave that computer on all day, everyday (with the Ventrilo Server running). When connecting I use the IP I received from http://www.ventrilo.com/myip.php.

The server WAS working fine. My friends and I have been using it for weeks. Now it won't allow connections from outside my network (if I use my internal IP, 192.168.1.102, it works fine for me, but of course no one else can connect).

The strange thing is, when I run the server from my main computer (my gaming computer) it works fine! I have no problems connecting to it using the IP from http://www.ventrilo.com/myip.php (which is the same for both PCs apparently).

Both computers have the same Norton Internet Security software and settings. I have tried turning off all Norton software. That didn't work. I reset my router and changed the server computer to be IP 101 instead of 102. That didn't work.

Can anyone help me?! I like leaving the old server computer on all day so my friends can access it. I don't leave my gaming PC on since I am worried about its security if it is left open to the internet.

Why does the server work on one PC over the network, and not the other? How can I fix this? This is really weird.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
-Kevin

PS. I tried running the server from my laptop and that didn't work either. It only wants to work from one PC on my network... of course, it is the one I don't want it to run from!
kdevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
ElementReaper

Default Router?

Are you currently hooked up to a router?
ElementReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
kdevita

Yes I am... my setup is still the same (i.e. router, Norton, etc.). I haven't changed my hardware setup or network before or after the problem occured.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
kdevita

Holy Poop! Now it works again... ?#$?!!
I have no idea how that happened. REALLY STRANGE.

I tweaked a few non-Ventrilo settings in my router and now it won't work on my gaming PC and it works on the old PC now...

Well, it is working, so I won't complain.

Thanks!
-Kevin