Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
jbudden

Default Lagging and Ping Spike

I'm running Mac OSX 10 with a 2.16 GHz processor Intel.

Since the new version of Ventrilo, I've been having problems with vent lagging. Very rarely does it not lag, and when it does, I can't make out what people are saying at all. The Ping will sometimes spike to over 20,000 and generally stays around 9,000 and I often get kicked out of the channel.

I use vent while playing WoW, and the game itself doesn't lag at all. All other applications that require the internet run smoothly, but vent. I've lost my ability to raid due to being unable to hear it.

I've tried finding an earlier version of vent, I've tried reinstalling the new one, and I've deleted enough stuff to free about 20gigs off my hard drive. I don't know what else to do.

Please, if anyone has any questions, ideas, solutions, or even just has the same problem and wants to tell me what they tried, let me know.
jbudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
wadesworld

Chances are very, very good that the problem is your ISP is traffic shaping Ventrilo packets.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
jbudden

The problem HAS to be with ventrilo simply because... nothing else lags. Especially not this badly. Ventrilo lags so that it's unusable, but I need to use it. Skype works perfectly, all other video and audio communication applications work fine. WoW works without lag. It HAS to be vent and it has to be something I can fix without being able to touch the ISP (since it's not mine, it's the school's)
Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
wadesworld

Quote:
The problem HAS to be with ventrilo simply because... nothing else lags. Especially not this badly. Ventrilo lags so that it's unusable, but I need to use it. Skype works perfectly, all other video and audio communication applications work fine. WoW works without lag. It HAS to be vent and it has to be something I can fix without being able to touch the ISP (since it's not mine, it's the school's)
No, it doesn't have to be Ventrilo.

Ventrilo sends packets on UDP port 6100. If the school has a traffic shaper that identifies that traffic as "peer-to-peer" then it will shape Ventrilo traffic. Many users have experienced this with their ISP and the fact that you're on a school network makes it all the more likely.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
jbudden

So what do I do? Nothing?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
wadesworld

Contact your university networking department, find out if they have traffic-shaping which is being trigged by Ventrilo's use of port 6100 and ask them to modify their configuration so it won't incorrectly flag Ventrilo as peer-to-peer traffic.