Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Frankup

Default channel authentication

I have a private channel on my server which I don't want anyone else to be able to join except my friend and I.

the problem is, anyone with server admin can override the channel authentication even though their name isn't in the allow list. I want them to have server admin, but I don't want them to be able to join this channel.

any idea what to do?
Frankup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

suggest you set a channel protected mode - rt-clik on channel name/channel admin/edit

Channel Password
This mode requires that the user know the global password for this specific channel. Channel icon will be red.
User Authorization
This mode requires that each client that joins this channel have a unique account login on this server and that an Account or Server Admin has given explicit access to their account in order to join this channel. Channel icon will be yellow.
Note: Your account must have the "Add user" right in order to set a channel to User Authorization mode.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Frankup

I've already explained that the channel is set to user authentication. the problem is that the server admins I have on my server are still able to join the channel even though their names are not on the authentication list. I want to know what I can do so this doesn't happen.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

the only other way to keep them out is remove the 'server admin' permission but give them all the other permissions in that column, which equates to a regular admin instead of super admin.

if you need them to admin certain channels then also give them channel admin permissions for the top-level channels in the channel admin tab. except do not include your private channel.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Frankup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
the only other way to keep them out is remove the 'server admin' permission but give them all the other permissions in that column, which equates to a regular admin instead of super admin.

if you need them to admin certain channels then also give them channel admin permissions for the top-level channels in the channel admin tab. except do not include your private channel.
I've tried that, but then if you log into the server without that permission checked it doesn't log you into admin. normally it would have the "A" at the top but it doesn't after you remove that permission.

Last edited by Frankup; 05-22-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
tb123

take a look at this this is what i had to do. this gives the "admin" right to specific channels and does not let the users into channels you don't want them in.

http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37108

IE: channel admins can only move from "channel A" to "channel B" if they are channel admins for both A and B.
Supper admins can move everywhere. w/o authorization.

this worked for me. i know it will work for you

this also gives you the ability to give them certain rights to only ones you want them to have.

if your "Channel C" is the one you want to have as your private channel between you and your friend the only way that anyone will be able to enter is if you grant them the permissions.

-user editor
-select user (the ones whom you have given rights to)
-under the Admin tab click off the Server Admin
-give the same person admin rights to the specific channels you want them to be in ( or move people to and from )
-remember to click update every time you change something so that it will take effect.
THEN
give them channel authorization in which the channels they can be in. (you can make this for your friend too )

that way you can limit the amount of "Supper Admins" on your server

in my opinion the smallest amount of supper admins the better ( things do not get changed that you don't want to)

hope this helps

Last edited by tb123; 05-22-2009 at 12:29 PM.
tb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Frankup

I want them to be able to kick and ban users as well. that's all the rights they have. kick, ban, and move. if I only give them rights to specific channels I assume they won't be able to kick or ban people off the server so I'm not sure how to get around this.

I want them to have the rights I give them, just not let them into my channel without auth.
I guess it's not possible
Old 05-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

not possible if they also have the super admin permission.

you would have to add all top-level channels but yours to their channel admin list.

i agree with tb123 on limiting the number of super admins to just a couple and assign all others with junior admin permissions.

super admins can ban/kick other super admins (just something to keep in mind)