Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
phxflyboy

Default Why Rent a Server?

Maybe it's been asked and answered but here goes. I have been a Vent user for a couple years, only as a user on a friends server. Well, that friend no longer uses the server so I wanted to make my own. I downloaded the server files, installed them, followed all the instructions, and Voila!, it works. Now here's the question part. Why would I PAY for a rented server if I can run it all myself? Is it only if I need more than 8 people? (Which I don't.) Also, are there any security issues with people being allowed into my computer as I am hosting it?

Thanks for your help.

phxflyboy
phxflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
phxflyboy

Thanks for the info. About all I use Vent for is talking to friends during Battlefield 2142 or a couple other similar games. I've never had more than 5 people together at once. We aren't hardcore so if I crashed mid-game, no biggie. As long as security isn't an issue I think I'll stick with free for now.

Thanks again,

phxflyboy
phxflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
kilikopele

I agree with Balthezaar, but thought I'd throw in personal opinion as I've just rented after rolling my own for a year. I've been hosting on my laptop while gaming on by big rig with few problems. Our clan has grown, though, and it means 3 things that started bugging me.

1) I was starting to get asked for my IP address by "strangers". Yeah, they may run in my guild, but that doesn't mean I'd invite them over for a whiskey.

2) As we've grown, occasionally we've hit the home limit.

3) Especially with fast-twitch games (Like BF2 and CS:S), it meant that my internet connection was fielding all game traffic, my out-going voice (through my router and into my laptop), and then all channels of audio going back out. So I'm getting killed by players I've never seen and my guild-mates are yelling at me for letting someone walk right up on me.

For your use, I think you're making the right choice by sticking with the personal-server. Once you run into any of the above, it's time to search out an alternative. The hosting fees have been dropping. (Has anyone else noticed this?)
kilikopele is offline   Reply With Quote