Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Thunder1

Default Higher Quality Recording Exports

I noticed Ventrilo Version 4 still has the great recording feature prior versions had. Vent v4 can even open and play recordings made from v3 without issue which is great! (Edit: Actually, nevermind! It cannot play/export recordings made on Speex v3 servers)! That said, upon exporting them they're still just 32kHz WAV files. Recording export/playback has always been an issue; playing back a recording from within Ventrilo sounds way better than the exported recording does. Can the recording export be increased to 44.1kHz or 48kHz?

Furthermore, being able to export a different track for each user would be amazing!

Last edited by Thunder1; 09-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Thunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

I will pass this to the Devs to see what can be done.

Thanks for the input.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

the sample rate is dependent on the codec-format assigned to each channel, or in the case of a format not assigned then it defaults to the format assigned to the server.

i made some recordings using the opus codec at 12,16,24,48KHz stereo. after exporting i played them with audacity, winamp, and iTunes. looking at the file properties from within each program reported the same rate as was recorded.

what is the codec/format of the channel where the recording took place?

rt-click on the channel name > channel admin > info
if the codec/format boxes are blank then goto setup/voice tab and get the codec/format of the server in the lower left box.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Thunder1

My apologies about the sample rate. You're correct, it does match the codec sample rate of the channel it was recorded in. I stand (well... sit) corrected!

I would like to double-back and note that my statement about v4 being able to play v3 recordings is actually incorrect; the "Stat" column just says "Codec" upon attempting to click "Play" and exported files are actually just silence it seems.

I'm working with a lot of old recordings so I suppose I'll have to make do with using v3 to play them unless support is added back in. If it is, I highly suggest a way to export separate tracks per user!

I've also noticed that that sometimes the end of someone's statement is slightly clipped in the exported .wav but is perfectly audible in the recording when played from Ventrilo. I can easily reproduce this in v3 if you want a .vrf file that shows this issue, but I do not have a way of testing in v4 at this time.
Thunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

thanks for the additional info. I will try to reproduce that export scenario.