Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Teekay

Default Hosting a Vent Server.

Hello.

Recently i have tried hosting a ventrilo server for my friends. I have follwed many tutorials, and even tried everything thing i have seen on the forums. I have a dynamic ip so i have created a host with No-Ip. It has not worked. I have tried portforwarding with my router and it still dose not work. I have done everything possible and still none of my friends or even telnet can connect to my server/IP.

Can i get any help?
Teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

can you connect locally?

Testing Local Connection

For PC’s connecting on the same LAN as the server:
If you’re connecting the client from a different PC than the server then configure the client to use one of the internal ipaddresses of the server for the servername. The LAN ipaddress is typically set to 192.168.x.x

If you’re running the client on the same PC as the server then configure the client to use 127.0.0.1 or “localhost” as the Hostname (ipaddress).

Most home routers will not loopback a connection if you specify your external ipaddress or DNS hostname in the Ventrilo Client > Server setup. In most cases this configuration has caused unexpected problems.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Teekay

YEs i can connect localy, but no 1 else can.
Teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
JaimeRavenholdt

I always had trouble running a Vent until recently. I highly recommend checking out www.no-ip.org.

Basically, you'll paste your IP in there and make a host for it, masking your IP from strangers and making it easy to hand out the info.

You can find your IP with www.WhatsMyIP.org

For you, the basic login will be:

localhost

For your friends, it'll be:

SampleServerName.no-ip.org

Or whatever you set it as.

Last edited by JaimeRavenholdt; 10-16-2010 at 10:21 PM.
JaimeRavenholdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Havockitten

I'm having a similar problem. I can connect to my local ventrilo server, but no one outside of it can. I've turned off firewalls, antivirus, forwarded all the ports on both my router and my firewall settings, restarted, and nothing works. I check that status page, and it always says not responding. I use wireless internet, but i'm able to have people connect to my game servers just fine, so why isn't the ventrilo working?
Havockitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

do you have more than 1 router?

in the portforward, try creating 2 entries for port 3784, one for TCP and one for UDP

it also needs port 6100 UDP
Old 11-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Daskeke

Gonna borrow this thread as I have the same problem.

Setup is the following

Cable modem
|
Router
|
PC (host for server)

My router assigns my PC a static IP (192.168.1.100). My external IP is in the form of 85.29.xx.xxx, all connections using ports 3784 and 6100 are forwarded to my PC. Tried DMZ, disabling firewall from router (PC doesn't have a firewall on). I can connect to the server using my external IP but others outside of my network can't.

Telnet doesn't give me any error and the ventrilo status site shows that the server is accessible. Everyone gets stuck at "connecting" and I quite can't figure out what's the prob..

Made separate entries for TCP 3784 and UDP 3784 and also UDP 6100 forwarding them to my PC.
Daskeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

first make sure the router firmware is up to date.

what make/model cable modem do you have?
and does it also have a built-in router

for your local connection:

For PC’s connecting on the same LAN as the server:
If you’re connecting the client from a different PC than the server then configure the client to use one of the internal ipaddresses of the server for the servername. The LAN ipaddress is typically set to 192.168.x.x

If you’re running the client on the same PC as the server then configure the client to use 127.0.0.1 or “localhost” as the Hostname (ipaddress).

Most home routers will not loopback a connection if you specify your external ipaddress or DNS hostname in the Ventrilo Client > Server setup. In most cases this configuration has caused unexpected problems.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Daskeke

My cable modem doesn't have a built-in router and is unconfigurable. I'm 99.9% certain that it's the router causing the problem because when my computer was attached straight to the cable modem things worked just fine.

I've updated my routers firmware to the newest version (Linksys WRT120N). I can connect to the server from my network (using external IP or localhost) but connections coming from outside the network get stuck at "connecting".

The vent client says "Server is available" but it still gets stuck at connecting. I've disabled NAT but it still won't allow users outside of my network to connect.
Daskeke is offline   Reply With Quote