Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Seltox

Default Ventrilo over LAN?

Hey,

I have a friend over for a few days and we've been playing games via LAN.

Both of us are Running Windows XP SP2, and I am using my onboard sound (I have an abit IP35 PRO motherboard).

Anyway, we've been playing 4 games:
-Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
-Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
-Gears of War
-Unreal Tournament 3

Seeing as typing messages just doesn't cut it, I went searching for a program to use so that we could just talking using our headsets. I came across Ventrilo.

So basically I needed a program to chat over LAN, with no connection to the internet.

I realized i'd have to set up the server myself, so I downloaded the Ventrilo server. The only thing i've changed in the .ini file is the Name.

I know it is possible to connect to my server, as when i'm connected to the internet, I have been able to connect, but when I am just LANed, I cannot.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a very basic (I'm still a complete total n00b at Ventrilo) guide as to how to get it to work over LAN.

Here's some info that could be useful:

We are both using gigabit ethernet.
The router we are connected to is a dlink DI-614+
Seltox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Local Connection

For PC’s connecting on the same LAN as the server:
If you’re connecting the client from a different PC than the server then configure the client to use one of the internal ipaddresses of the server.

If you’re running the client on the same PC as the server then use 127.0.0.1 or “localhost” as the servername.

also, the server requires connectivity to the internet.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
Seltox

Well, here's my network situation.

I have a modem that has a single output (ethernet). So if I need to be connected to the internet for the server to work, I need this to be plugged into my computer.

But if I want to be connected to my friends computer (so he can actually join my server) I need to go through my router.

I have dual gigabit ethernet, but you can't/shouldn't/whatever use them at the same time.

If I was to run the internet through my dlink DI-614+, and connect both our computer to this, would it work?

I've tried to get the internet working through the router before but i've never successfully been able to (I'm not good with networks ), any help would be appreciated in this situation.

EDIT:

Okay, I just plugged the internet into port 4 of the Router (My computer is in 1, Friends in 2, Brothers laptop in 3). I started up the server on my computer, and was able to join it, and my friend was also able to join my server. He's asleep right now so I havn't actually tested anything other than the connection but meh.

I am still unable to browse the internet on my computer with the internet plugged into the router - Would this be due to browser settings? (I'm using Firefox 3.0.1)

Thanks for the help
~Seltox

Last edited by Seltox; 08-02-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Seltox is offline   Reply With Quote