Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
rickms

Default Strange fixable static issue.

Hi all, I'm having a strange static problem when using the mac version of vent. Here's the details

I'm on an intel macbook pro...

1. Happens on MacOS 10.4 and 10.5
2. Happens on Vent 2.x and 3.x
3. Happens with multiple mic's

Issue : Seamingly randomly (but most notebly during high CPU usage) I come across randomly as very staticy. To resolve it all I need to do is go into "Setup" and click the Test. This comes out perfectly clear, once I close the setup I once again come across as clear to all other.

I've also noticed Minimizing/Maximizing World of Warcraft seems to trigger this as well (I have it's voice chat features disabled, and have had it happen in other games as well, so I do not believe this is the cause).

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Rick
rickms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
RickN

Yeah, experiencing the same problem.

When I start vent everything is fine, people can hear me perfectly, then after a while, pretty randomly, I suddenly sound like crap and people can no longer understand me. A quick restart of vent solves it, haven't tried just going to setup->test to fix it though.

I run vent 3.0.1 on MacOS 10.5.2. When I use vent I'm playing WoW and I do tend to switch between windowed and full screen mode quite a lot.

I use a Sennheiser USB headset.
RickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
MadMark

This is similar to problems we're having also. One of several things happen (most common first).

1) Distorted voice (gurgling, like underwater, could be a frame sync problem)
2) Voice duplication (Like frames are repeating [Max Headroom], not like an echo)
3) Voice delays

One of these happens regularly (nightly or more often).

The quick fix (90% of the time): Disconnect from server, connect to server (which can be painful in a raid)

Notes to help isolate the source:
1) This will happen on one of the 2 machines (his & hers) at a time, while the other is fine.
2) The heard (incoming) sound is never effected, only the outgoing.
3) A bluetooth headset (bluetalk [VXI]) seems significantly more prone to it, then the build-in mic.
4) The MacBook seems more prone to it, then the iMac (both Intel, both OS X 10.4.10).
mic.
5) The iMac (Intel) is more prone to it, then the iMac (G5).
6) iChat has never shown this problem (voice or video mode).
7) Other VOIP products (TeamSpeak, Gizmo, Skype) has never show this problem.

-Mark
MadMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
RickN

This doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention unfortunately.

Can a dev at least confirm that there is an issue? Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Do you consider it a vent problem or is it OS X related?
RickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
MadMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMark View Post
4) The MacBook seems more prone to it, then the iMac (both Intel, both OS X 10.4.10).
Wrong info:

The MacBook is 10.5.2
iMac is 10.4.10
(Both are Intel core 2 duo)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
MadMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN View Post
Do you consider it a vent problem or is it OS X related?
Given my experience, I would venture that its a Ventrilo problem since other apps have not demonstrated this issue (assuming all things being equal).

-Mark
Remember: Absence of proof does not mean proof of absence...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
rickms

Glad to see i'm not the only one having this problem.

Is it a MacOS or Vent issue? Well as a software developer myself I would have to know what exactly is done when the 'Test' button in the setup is clicked, since whatever it does there seems to "reset" whatever is casuing the issue.. If it is mostly interaction with the OS sound layer than it may very well be a MacOS issue, if it is Vent Software code, then I would venture to say it's a vent bug. Only the developers can answer this one :P

It may very well be a MacOS issue, lately i've noticed if I leave my sound preferences open (I frequently switch between onboard and usb headset) not even the 'Test' function can fix it until it's closed. They may be seperate issues or symptoms of the same thing.

Anyone else have any more info?

Thanks
Rick
rickms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
matthoff

I too have this issue. After connecting and talking for a a few seconds, I will switch vent into the background and bring my game in the foreground. Next time i talk, people will tell me I can't be understood (static, garbling, etc.). Disconnecting and reconnecting to the Vent server will fix the problem.

I am using a MacBook Pro under OS 10.5.2 with a Logitech USB headset.
matthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
Sekkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthoff View Post
I too have this issue. After connecting and talking for a a few seconds, I will switch vent into the background and bring my game in the foreground. Next time i talk, people will tell me I can't be understood (static, garbling, etc.). Disconnecting and reconnecting to the Vent server will fix the problem.

I am using a MacBook Pro under OS 10.5.2 with a Logitech USB headset.
Same issue, same configuration. The static/crackling gets so bad that it drives people crazy. Is there any long-term resolution? Why hasn't the Ventrilo staff commented on this yet?
Sekkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
matthoff

I have been operating without a headset lately and found that this problem no longer occurs. The problem seems to be only happening when I use Vent with my logitech headset.
matthoff is offline   Reply With Quote