Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 12-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
Zefyrus

Default Problem with Mac OS Client Voice CODEC

When I try to connect to the server I get a message saying that my Mac client is configured for Speex but the server is GMS 6.10. When I change the voice codec to GMS 6.10 it tells me that my client does not support it even though the option appears. Is there a Mac cient that supports GMS 6.10?
Zefyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
wadesworld

Not at this time.

Have the server administrator change the server to Speex.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Numna

Default OS X Version

Is there an ETA on when the Mac version will support other codec's? I find most administrators reluctant to change to speex.
Numna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
wadesworld

A date has not been announced and will not be. All we know is that the next major release will resolve the problem. Whether that release will be next month, 6 months or a year, we don't know. We also don't know what form the "fix" will take.

In any case, a release date would do nothing but hurt your cause. If you gave them a date, the server administrator would use that as an excuse to do absolutely nothing on your behalf.

Quote:
I find most administrators reluctant to change to speex.
There's some truth to that, but most administrators react to what they've "heard" with no real facts. Many administrators have found that when they make the change to Speex, their voice quality improves.

In any case, the most productive thing you can do at this point is lobby your administrator to make the change so you can participate now - not sit around waiting on some future compatibility.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
theguth

I've had the same issue and I've already convinced my administrator to switch codecs. However, he is completely new to running a server and is also lazy beyond belief. These two characteristics mean that I have to explain to him exactly what to do in order to switch codecs. Does anyone know where I could find some information on this type of switch?
theguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
wadesworld

Assuming he's paying for a hosted server, he'd either use the web-based control panel to make the change, or contact their tech support department.

If it's a personal server that he's running on his PC, he'd set the following parameters in ventrilo_srv.ini and then reboot the server.

VoiceCodec = 3
VoiceFormat = 20
Old 01-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
theguth

Ok, thanks a lot for the help; I'll try those methods out.
theguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
Fender2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Assuming he's paying for a hosted server, he'd either use the web-based control panel to make the change, or contact their tech support department.

If it's a personal server that he's running on his PC, he'd set the following parameters in ventrilo_srv.ini and then reboot the server.

VoiceCodec = 3
VoiceFormat = 20
Where can I get more details on the parameters for these two items?
Fender2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #9
Mercuras

Default heading in the wrong direction

Our vent server switched from speex to GSM because speex wasn't working between certain clients. The Windows clients were having trouble with speex. Since some of the players are international (Cambodia, Australia, Portland *cough*) and are key, the fix was to dump speex.

Is the source to the GSM codec around somewhere? Maybe I can get it running.

-Merc
Mercuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
wadesworld

No, GSM support is not available on the Mac in the current version.

Your only option right now is to work to resolve any Speex issues. For 98% of people, that simply means ensuring that *everyone* on the server is running Windows version 2.3.2 beta 3. Generally what we find is that most people are running it, but there are a few that aren't, because they haven't had a problem.

In very rare cases, users have had to update update their sound card drivers.