Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Phrenominon

Default Problem joining channels

I can't seem to move myself into a channel on any server i join. Of all my friends using ventrilo, I am the only Mac user, using 3.0.1, and the only one that seems to have this issue. Any suggestions?
Phrenominon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
mjgraf

can you see the channels?
if yes, then have the server admin ensure that you have rights to move channels.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
jsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrenominon View Post
I can't seem to move myself into a channel on any server i join. Of all my friends using ventrilo, I am the only Mac user, using 3.0.1, and the only one that seems to have this issue. Any suggestions?
I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using a macbook pro. If i join a vent server, I have to have someone with admin move me into the channel because i cant do it myself even if every other windows user can move themselves into the channel. I've noticed this issue occurs unless you are a server administrator and then you can move yourself anywhere anyway. However, if the admin creates a channel for me and sets it so when I join i join directly into that channel im able to move to any other channel without any problem. It only occurs if i join into the lobby. As i've said any other windows user can move themselves into the channel they want, but I cant.

Please fix this problem. I just joined a new guild and If there is no admin around I cannot participate in any of the raids.
jsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
wadesworld

How are you trying to move yourself? Just double-click on the channel.

If that doesn't work, it's a permissions problem.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
jsauce

It's not a permissions problem. It's a mac vent (maybe) leopard problem. If i connect to the same server with a windows client, I have no problem. It only happens on the mac. Double-clicking doesn't matter. You cannot get a channel list from the context menu unless you are already in a channel.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
wadesworld

It's not a Leopard problem. I use Vent on multiple vent servers and have no issue changing channels.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
jsauce

I'm only making a suggestion as to what it might be. I can reproduce the problem 100% of the time on any vent server so long as I'm logged into my mac. If i use windows the problem doesn't exist. I know a few people who use both macs and windows and the people who have had this problem are using Leopard and not Tiger. I wasn't suggesting that it is definitely a problem with Leopard only pointing out it happens when I use my mac which happens to be loaded with Leopard. Since I am unable to test with a machine that has Tiger I have to go by the people who I know who have Tiger and don't have the issue.

Again please don't blow this issue away as a permissions problem with my access because its not, or if it is then its still a permissions problem that only occurs when im logged into the mac version of the client and not windows. I'm not an idiot.

When I join a server I can right-click and see the context menu but for joining channels its non-existant. If I double-click the channel nothing happens. However, if the server admin has a channel on the server and sets my user account to join a specific channel when I enter the server this problem doesn't exist, I can join any channel I want from there either from the context menu or by double-clicking it. However, if I move myself into the lobby I am stuck there. Note this occurs with any level of permissions all the way up to an admin with everything. Only if I'm logged in as a server admin does the problem go away since I can force myself out of the lobby then. So it may very well be a permissions problem, but again it only occurs with the mac client.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Arlysil

Default Channels not visible on Leopard

I'm the administrator for our guild server and I cannot see the channels I created. My host provider said that it is a bug in Leopard and that the channels are on the server. I created them in Vent 3.0.1 using OS 10.5.2 using an Intel Core 2 Duo MBP. Has anyone else had this issue? arlysil@gmail.com
Arlysil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
mcdevin

Default A possible cause and solution

I've encountered a similar problem on my Mac (MacBook Pro, running Leopard), and finally discovered the cause in my case -- my "press to speak" key has accidentally been set to my mouse button! This meant that when I tried to click into the channel, Ventrilo ignored the click and assumed it was a press to speak key.

Now, if you can select the other buttons in ventrilo (such as disconnect), then this probably isn't the cause.

The solution is at:

http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27030

Or, to sum up the solution here
  1. Start ventrilo
  2. Right click (ctrl-click) inside the window and select View -> Working directory.
  3. Close Ventrilo (Command-Q)
  4. In the workdir window that you previously opened double click the ventrilo2.ini file (opening it in Text Edit)
  5. Search for a line starting with "HotKey=" and delete the entire line.
  6. Save the file.
  7. Close the editor window.
  8. Start ventrilo again and set the appropriate PTT key.

Last edited by mcdevin; 05-23-2008 at 07:17 AM.
mcdevin is offline   Reply With Quote