Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 12-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Tandaemonium

Default I sound like I'm riding in an airplane.

I've been told by other people that when I'm on Vent that I sound like a fan is blowing or that it's like I'm riding in an airplane. The PC users have the Beta version running and it still sounds that way to them. They suggested it was my microphone, but not only did I just buy it but it also works fine in other uses as well as when I connect it to my PC and the PC Vent client. They say I sound completely fine and better when I'm on my PC, so it's not the headset/mic. I tried looking at my sound and midi app settings and they're at 44.1kHz. I don't know what else to play around with to try and fix this. Other info: I'm running a Powerbook G4. Thanks for your help in advance.
Tandaemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
gramathy

Okay, is it a USB mic or a self-powered mic? If you purchased a standard 1/4" jack mic/headset it's not powered, so your computer is picking up your built-in mic by default, which is inconveniently located right on top of the hard drive (or thereabouts) making for heavy background noise.

Get a USB headset - easy fix. I used to have the exact some problem - basically the audio input port on a Mac is NOT a microphone port, it's a powered Line In, so standard mics won't work.

Last edited by gramathy; 12-03-2005 at 12:51 PM.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
ChopperX

i have a shuttle computer and the mic ports are on the bottom and i sound muffled and people say i soud like im in a hurricane. is tha becasue its onboard sound?
ChopperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
gramathy

Where they plug in shouldn't make a difference - but the problem he is likely having is that Macs needs a powered audio input, and if it doesn't detect one it defaults the onboard (built in) mic, which (on a powerbook) is right next to the HD/fans/noisy stuff.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
wadesworld

What kind of Mic is it? How are you hooking it up to the PB? Through a built-in mic port? Or a USB adapter?

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
Tandaemonium

Thank you...yes that was it. I feel like an idiot for not realizing that was a Line-In and wearing a headset for weeks when it was actually the internal mic the whole time.

As soon as I replaced with a USB headset problem was solved immediately!
Tandaemonium is offline   Reply With Quote