Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Kazrath

Default Rcon and Server password.

I am renting a ventrilo server. This being the case I do not have access to the actual install location of the ventrilo server. The only access I have is through rcon/console.

My server was default auth mode set to 2. I have been using individualized User/Pass but this has become difficult as our guild has grown and I would like to change the auth mode to 1 and introduce a generic server password and only password protect specific channels. The administration would be easier.

So the question is: Using Rcon/console is it possible to change the server password? This apparently was available at one point with Rcon but the command password no longer is a valid command. Was it stripped for some reason?

Thanks,
Kazrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Kazrath

Just bumping myself to the top after answering the same question 3 or 4 times. Gotta love port fowarding :P
Old 01-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
mjgraf

contact your hosting regarding server passwords.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Kazrath

Bah, that does not help much.

Why not enable the rcon admin to change the password through a remote command? That would make administration much easier. Right now I can only toggle it to No authentication or individual user authentication. Without being able to modify the server pass that is a major vulnrability.

So there is no option with rcon to change it
Old 01-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Ur-Jack

Well with rcon you are only granted access to the program, where as to change something in the programs configuration you need access to the operating system in order to save such a change (in this case, ventrilo's .ini file; it's simply a permissions thing. The program cannot authorise you to change something that it itself works under.
Unless a process does have permission to overwrite it's own configuration files after input from within the program via rcon?
Ur-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote