Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
trekkiee

Angry severe feedback echo realtek sound card

i can talk in vent and people can hear me but if any1 talks while i'm talking there is audio feedback & echo so severe that I generally can't talk in vent.
i have windows xp, realtek HD audio sound card, driver updated, and i read the 'People say I have huge echo - realtek HD audio' thread, it didn't fix the problemp. my mic & headphones are separate physical devices connected to the computer's rear pink [mic] and green [out] jacks. no speakers
ventrilo/setup:
If input is set to realtek, then people can't hear me.
If input is set to 'line in/mic in' or default directsound, and if output is set to realtek or directsound, or any combo thereof, I get the feedback.
pressing 'recording (input)' at the bottom brings up windows recording volume sliders, all muted except for 'mic' and 'mute all.' Pushing playback brings up windows master volume controls; mic is muted there.
The 'test hardware' wizard at the bottom of the control panel/sounds and audio devices properties/voice tab works fine, but only if recording is set to 'line in/mic in'. If recording is set to realtek input, then the wizard does not detect a mic signal.
realtek audio HD sound manager:
sound effects tab, environment set to 'none,' which I think means no sound effects, same setting as sounds and audio devices properties/sounds tab/sounds scheme, which is set to 'o sounds.'
Mixer tab displayes a 'playback' pane with an adjustable volume knob, a wrench icon which brings up the mixer toolbox, but this only has checkboxes for all of the sliders which are displayed. There is also a multi-streaming setting, which brings up a window with 'enable multi-streaming playback' checked, and 'output mic in/line in to front panel' and 'output mic in/line in to rear panel' both checked below this. In the playback pane there is also a drop-down menu with only 'realtek HD audio rear output' available, and sliders for: wave, SW synth, front, rear, subwoofer, center, side, digitalIn [grayed-out], front green in, line in 1 or 2, front pink in [muted], mic [muted], CD player. There is a pane below labeled 'record,' with an adjustable volume knob, a wrench icon which again brings up a list of checkboxes for which sliders to display, and 4 grayed-out sliders labeled Cd player, line in 1 or 2, mic, stereo mix, all muted except mic. The drop down menu in the 'record' pane is set to 'line in/mic in,' and the only other choice is 'realtek HD digital input,' but when this is set to realtek rather than 'line in/mic in', there is no mic signal.
The audio I/O tab has a drop-down menu, currently set to 'headphones', and 3 panes labeled analog, front panel, and digital. The analog pane displays 'line in (line in/mic in)' connected to the blue rear jack labeled 'in' even tho there is nothing plugged into that jack. The analog pane also displays 'front speakers out (realtek HD audio rear output)' plugged into the yellow rear jack labeled 'out' [my headphones are plugged into that jack], and it shows 'mic in (line in/mic in)' plugged into the pink rear jack where the mic is physically plugged in. The 'front panel' pane displays 'line in (line in/mic in)' plugged into the front blue jack lebeled 'in' even tho there is nothing plugged into the front. The 'digital' pane shows nothing plugged into the digital audo in and out jacks, which don't seem to physically exist on the computer, but maybe I missed them.
The microphone tab has checkboxes for 'noise suppression' and 'acoustic echo suppression', neither checked.
Could you please help me eliminate the distortion and feedback? Thanks in advance
trekkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

does the audio have a green colored jack? the headphones normally plugs into the green as the yellow jack is for center/subwoofer speakers.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
trekkiee

yes, my sound card has a green colored jack on the back of the comp, labeled 'out.' my headphones are plugged into this green jack.
my mic is plugged into the adjacent pink jack labeled 'mic.'
my headphones and mic are separate physical devices. no speakers.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
trekkiee

I hope I supplied the info u needed. I waited a week, no reply. Is there more info that u need to figure out the problem?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

oh, sorry

it looks like you have everything setup properly.

check for this:

Audio Driver

Check the Audio driver to make sure it is up to date. Or try re-installing the current driver.
(note: some USB Headsets do not require a driver)
(Don’t assume the driver is up to date as a newer one may have been released since the computer was built)

- If you have a brand-name PC, like Dell or HP, then check the manufacturers website for driver updates.
- If you built the PC and use the on-board sound device then check the motherboard manufacturers website for drivers for your model motherboard.
- If you use a plug-in soundcard, like SoundBlaster, then check that manufacturers website for drivers.

Also check for BIOS and chipset updates

can you post pics of all the audio properties windows. you can use a service like photobucket then put the links to the pics here
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
trekkiee

I updated the audio & BIOS, HP didn't have a chipset driver update, just the original driver.
vent:

windows master volume sliders:

windows recording control sliders:

control panel/sounds and audio devices properties/voice tab:

Last edited by trekkiee; 06-11-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
trekkiee

realtek audio HD sound manager:
sound effects tab:

mixer tab:

audio i/o tab:

microphone tab:

Help me Obi-wan Kanobi! You're my only hope!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

try enabling the multi-streaming and then unchecking both 'output' boxes
Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Canadianbones

in your windows mixer, try muting the line in 1 or 2 in the playback in the realtek rear output since your input device on vent is line in / mic in
Canadianbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
trekkiee

I shall test both of your suggestions, but, at the moment, I have no vent channel. Is there a free channel with people to talk to, or some other way that I could talk to someone on vent so I can test your suggestions?