Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Avarix

Default Test Server.

I've got a server up and running using the Speex codec. I have to say it sounds great. If anyone wants to check out Vent on the mac or wants to convince there current friends to switch to the speex codec, feel free to.

IP = shadow8.nrgservers.net
Port = 3506
Avarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
jldera

Noticed you have hosting with nrgservers.net. My guild also has Vent through them (or at least, the server address is similar). The guild leader isn't too sure on how to change to Speex (or if it's even possible). Any tips on what specific package is needed to make those changes on an nrgservers.net hosteed Vent? I'm guessing it's possible, since you seem to have done it :P
jldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
wadesworld

All the server admin has to do is change the configuration file and restart the server.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
jldera

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
All the server admin has to do is change the configuration file and restart the server.
Is that possible from console access to the vent server? Do they need to SSH in or have FTP access? Because if nrgservers.net offers a closed solution, it might not be possible to GAIN access to the configuration file. Reading on their site, it seems like the Vent servers they offer pretty much come as they are.

What I'm trying to determine is if nrgservers.net SPECIFICALLY has a means of changing the codec. If you can answer that, please do. Otherwise, I can read the forums, FAQ, and other info pertaining to the Mac client and then determine what needs to be done. I don't need you to repeat the same.
jldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
bigred

I have hosting with TypeFrag. Not to play the shill here, but they have a truly great web control panel that lets you edit virtually all settings regarding the server. Its just as though you had root.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 AM   #6
gramathy

Yeah, my GM has typefrag as a host. He switched codecs for me and the only difference people can tell is the MotD says "Testing new codecs..." Took mere seconds.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
wadesworld

Quote:
What I'm trying to determine is if nrgservers.net SPECIFICALLY has a means of changing the codec. If you can answer that, please do.
After spending a few minutes on their website, it would appear to me that you'd need to contact their tech support to get the codec changed. They charge more for more ports and "high quality" servers, so I think it unlikely they let you change those values yourself.

If they try to tell you that changing to a Speex codec that is the equivalent of your current GSM codec is going to raise your price, I'd cancel my server and change hosting companies.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:31 AM   #8
Avarix

All you have to do is e-mail Nrgservers tech support. That had it changed for me in about 10 minutes. I already have a high quality server, but that doesn't matter considering the speex codec scales exactly like GSM, so it would work on low quality servers as well.

If your going to get your own server high quality is the way to go, theres no real good low quality soultion for vent or any other voice chat for that matter. They will sound like crap no matter what, the only reason they still exist is to cater to dial up users in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #9
Avarix

This is still up and running. From my experience the speex codec seems to sound better. It seems cut out alot of backround noise and weird cracking and such that happens with the GSM codec. For pc users, just make sure they download the beta.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 AM   #10
senlui

Hello .. Just wondering if this is still up?

I dont seem to be able to connect.
senlui is offline   Reply With Quote