Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 08-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Omicron

Default So uh... some questions.

I can finally say I stand corrected on development, congratulations on releasing version 4.0.

However, I'm a bit confused here:

1. Where are the "private server" options? Ventsrv? You'd be insane to only offer "outside host" only solutions when we have Teamspeak and Mumble that work perfectly.

2. Where's the classic theme? The Win32 GUI elements like 3.0?
Omicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
luisgarcia87

I am looking for the private server option but couldn't find any, maybe what you're saying it's true, they completely removed the private server option on version 4.0
luisgarcia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Omicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgarcia87 View Post
I am looking for the private server option but couldn't find any, maybe what you're saying it's true, they completely removed the private server option on version 4.0
Maybe they are still working on it, I also cannot find any location that is hosting a 4.0 server, and they still have version 3.0 on their website.

A bit weird that the 3.0 server isn't available either. I can tell you that Vent has lost support in my book if they don't give a private server option like in the past.

To be honest, I still wished they added in a 3.0.X version with Opus and raw PCM/Wave support as additional codec versions.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Osnick

The host I have used for a while, Ventrilo3.com has Ventrilo 4.0 servers, they are called Ventrilo Pro servers when you order them. I just upgraded my 3.0 server to a 4.0 server yesterday.
Osnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Hi All,

just to let you know I will speak with the Devs about the free server availability.

the ver3 look/feel is under themes and named "Classic"

There is also the Raw version of codec that does not compress the signal. Ask your Hosting Co about the option.

We finally got the kitchen sink and now it's time to add the rest of the house.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Omicron

Both my "default" and "classic" themes look exactly the same - the gray background, and the flat black surrounding the interface window. Classic looks nothing like Version 3 did.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Thumptacks

I'll also throw in my confusion/disappointment at being able to host our own servers (especially removing the option for version 3). If anything I was hoping we would be getting ARM binaries for server with this update, Vent is perfect for the Raspberry Pi. But it does also work fine with x86 emulation.

As Omicron pointed out it's a bizarre business move to only offer a paid version when your competition has if for free. Personally, I would be okay with paying a one time fee for a perpetual license but I might be in the minority on that.

I guess we'll see what's decided, that's for checking into it Prog-Rocker.
Thumptacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
Omicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumptacks View Post
I'll also throw in my confusion/disappointment at being able to host our own servers (especially removing the option for version 3). If anything I was hoping we would be getting ARM binaries for server with this update, Vent is perfect for the Raspberry Pi. But it does also work fine with x86 emulation.

As Omicron pointed out it's a bizarre business move to only offer a paid version when your competition has if for free. Personally, I would be okay with paying a one time fee for a perpetual license but I might be in the minority on that.

I guess we'll see what's decided, that's for checking into it Prog-Rocker.
I'd be fine with a paid licence option too, Teamspeak does that. Only one problem, they NEVER EVER consider selling their licenses anymore.

With 3.0, you had two options, free 8 slots, or their hosts. You never had the option to get a license yourself.

They just told you "yadda yadad go buy from one of our providers." To be honest, that's what originally made me go with alternatives.

Last edited by Omicron; 08-27-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #9
Omicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
Hi All,
just to let you know I will speak with the Devs about the free server availability.
Hear anything else about those private 4.0 servers?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Omicron

My god, you got to do something with these spammers.

In this day and age, you should seriously get off of Vbulletin 3 and on to something with better Captcha "catching." There's seriously no reason to hold on to all of the old posts on this website 99% of them are usually irrelevant even for modern tech support.

Why not consider a Vent tech support subreddit?