Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
idmiller

Default server admin options... Mute others while talking

Hi, I'm kinda noob at this server admin stuff though not a complete noob. I was playing around in the server user profiles and happened to cross a box that says Mute others while talking. This could be a HUGE benifit if I could get this to work. Heres the example...

MMORPG

Guild is killing a mob people are acting up raid leader is trying to give a command and others are keyed up overlapping...

What I would like for it to do is...

When people are having relaxed talk while raiding and the raid leader uses push to talk to give orders to move or attack certain mobs that it mutes all active transmits and only they are heard. I have this box checked for a user who has admin prives and has an account login with password. why does this not work and mute others while talking?

has anyone used this option and if so what other object am i missing...
thanks for your time.

and before anyone posts why not mute everyone but them.. well we don't want to do that and have to mute and unmute each person everytime it's ok to have casual conversation
idmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Mute others while talking (PTT Advanced)

User-Editor > Transmit Tab > Mute others while talking (PTT Advanced)

When enabled this feature allows the account to mute other clients that might be transmitting to the same people the account is transmitting to. It requires that a unique PTT Advanced key be created and with the "Mute other users" option enabled for the bind. See the Binds Editor PTT Advanced function. This feature could create many problems and it is strongly recommended that you enable this option for a very small group of people that can be trusted.

Bindings editor (click the rt-arrow next to “Bindings” on top of main window)
Create a new Bind name or “Add” to an existing bind group

PTT Advanced

For transmitting into the current channel, a different channel, sub-channels, specific user or voice target group. Requires the DirectInput option be enabled.

Mute other users

This option will allow you to mute other users that are transmitting at the same time as you so that clients will only hear your transmission. It requires that you have the "Mute others while talking (PTT Advanced)" access right enabled for your account. This right defaults to disabled.

Mute inbound streams

This option will force your local client to mute all inbound streams to you, and you only, when you are transmitting.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
cichard

is there a way to globably mute eveyone in the vent channel so that i'm the only one everyone can hear when i talk?
cichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

@ cichard

unless i'm misunderstanding what you're asking,

the 'mute others while talking' does mute everyone in the channel so that they only hear you.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
RaenofGod

I have been trying to get this feature to work for 3 days now to no avail. So I'm going to try asking for help on here.

I am an admin, I have the option enabled in the user editor and I created a binding for the "ctrl" button with the "mute others" option checked for "current channel." The only bump i see is that you mention needing to enable DirectInput but there was never en option to do so and i can't find that anywhere in settings or editor options.

I am running Mavericks if that makes a difference?
RaenofGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

@raen

checking into this. will let you know what i find.
the 'directinput' requirement is for windows
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
Slivermist

Cant set up my Ventrilo Client im the admin Im paying for my account and cant log into vent with my info
Slivermist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

@slivermist

i'm not sure but i think you need to do this:

When you first get your server you will most likely be logging in as a Guest and should create a new account for yourself that has the Server Admin right.

1) Right click in the main window and select Server Admin -> Login
2) Enter the global server admin password.
3) Open the User Editor window and create a unique login name and password for yourself.
4) Select the Generic Admin profile and press load.
5) Click on the Admin tab and enable Server Admin and any other options you think you will need.
6) Click Add.

Now log out of the server. Modify your details for this server so that your account now has the unique password. Log back into the server and it should give you automatic Server Admin rights.

If you are the owner of the server you should never give the global admin password to anyone. Keep it for yourself in case of emergencies. With version 3.0 on up you can assign admin equivalent rights to ordinary users without having to give them full Server Admin. Consequently, because an account has Server Admin doesn't mean that they have complete control like older versions did. They would still need to enable the other options found on the Admin tab. Then again, if they have Server Admin they can assign themselves these options. Assign it sparingly and only to people you can trust.

If you revoked the server admin right for an account that is currently logged in then it will take effect as soon as you press the Update button. However, if you assign the server admin to an account that is already logged in then they must disconnect and reconnect for the server admin right to take effect.