Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
phoenix110044

Default DDO/Windows 7

I am attempting to play Dungeons and Dragons online, have windows 7, and have vent set to run as administrator. When I talk on vent while logged into DDO I apparently make a buzzing and sometimes screeching noise. Any suggestions?
phoenix110044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

what brand audio device are you using?

while the game is running, goto vent setup and run the 'test' function to see if you hear the buzzing there.

try these settings:

Basic Sound System Setup

(Windows XP)
Goto control-panel / sounds & audio / audio tab / volume button / select ‘options’ in the menu / check ‘advanced’ / select ‘properties’ / select ‘playback’ radio button / check all boxes
select ‘record’ radio button / check all boxes / click OK

In the playback list of devices – check the ‘mute’ box under Microphone. Close window

Click the volume button in the ‘sound recording’ section. If the check boxes display ‘Select’ then check the box under Microphone. If the check boxes display ‘Mute’ then check all boxes EXCEPT ‘Microphone’ and ‘Mute All’

(Windows Vista/7)
Goto control-panel / sound / Playback tab / select speaker device / click ‘properties’ / Levels tab / mute the microphone (click the little speaker icon to see the red circle) / also mute anything listed as ‘Pink-In

Other possible settings may be included with the sound card audio manager program.

Temporarily disable any other sound/voice altering programs (if in use)

Generic Voice Problems

Make sure your soundcard drivers are up to date.

- If you have a brand-name PC, like Dell or HP, then check the manufacturers website for driver updates.
- If you built the PC and use the on-board sound device then check the motherboard manufacturers website for drivers for your model motherboard.
- If you use a plug-in soundcard, like SoundBlaster, then check that manufacturers website for drivers.

In vent setup, try setting the input/output devices to ‘use directsound’ and setting the device name to the sound device you’re using. (also try different combinations of checking/unchecking ‘use directsound’)

In the ‘hardware mixer’ section > set mixer={sound-device name}, mux=recording (master volume), line=microphone (master volume)
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
phoenix110044

Tried that no luck.

My settings were already set how you suggested, tried the different settings you suggested for Win 7 no luck, my drivers are up to date (Sound Max Integrated HD Audio).

Noticed taht in game I sound like a buzzing bee, but if alt tabbed I sound like I am on a helicopter, if at character screen there is a screeching noise.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

do you sound bad in the vent setup/test function?

set your outbound amplifier to 0

did you disable all mic effect settings like noise suppression, accoustic cancellation, etc.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
phoenix110044

Yes I sound bad when using the test function, stetting the outbound amplifier to 0 seems to just make the problem quieter and my voice but doesn't fix anything, and as far as I know all mic effects are taken off.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
phoenix110044

And...fail... I have an Asus built computer with jacks in the front that I have been using for my mic (with no problem). On a lark I moved it to the rear mic jack...seems to work great now. Thanks for the help.