Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
SgtKaos

Default New URL Protocol Issue Ventrilo(4.0.3)

Since this new update for Ventrilo(4.0.3) on Windows 10 that altered Ventrilo's handling of URL protocols, I have been unable to properly use any URLs that are in a URL comment, or when sent in chat. When I Ctrl-Click a URL it opens up a popup window that reads

Protocol = https
Description = URL:https
Execute = "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
(shows the link I am trying to open)

Protocol not in authorized list. Would you like to add to the
authorized list and then execute the external command?

Yes = Add then Execute.
No = Execute without Adding.
Cancel = Abort this link.

So, the issue I am having is that Ventrilo wants to set Internet Explorer for any URL. I use Firefox which is set to my default web browser, and any URL link in the previous versions of Ventrilo worked fine. I have tried everything personally I could think of. Such as

1. Clicked Yes to add protocol and then tried to find it in the Windows Default App protocols. (HTTP/HTTPS protocols already/still show Firefox as default app, nothing changed)
2. Uninstalled Ventrilo, delete any and all files left over. Then reinstall the program.
3. Double check Windows 10's default apps by protocol.
4. Uninstall/reinstall Firefox.
5. Removed Internet Explorer 11 from the Windows Features list and Restarted.

With all that done Ventrilo still wants to add a protocol with Internet Explorer even though it's no longer installed. I am absolutely puzzled as to why Ventrilo is so insistent I use Internet Explorer for URLs and not just use the set default web browser. Hell, it doesn't even want to use Microsoft Edge, or Chrome, even if I set them to default web browser as well.

If there are other steps to throw my way I would gladly try them as any help would be much appreciated. This may not be a huge issue, but it sure is an annoyance. All I want is to Ctrl-Click a URL and it load up in Firefox lol.
SgtKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

thx for the info. we will look into this issue.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Flagship
Administrator

Interesting. It works correctly on Win 8.1 but doesn't seem to work properly on Win 10.

I'll look into this when I get back from QuakeCon.

As an interim solution select the user name that has URL comment and then press Ctrl-U. This will copy the URL on to the clipboard and you can then paste it into the input field of your desired browser. Kind of a pain but will get the job done until I can look at the code next week.

You can also open an SCP to make it a little easier. Right click in the tree, select View -> New Side control panel. Right click on the new SCP and select Miscellaneous. The bottom button will become the same thing as clicking Ctrl-U.

Thx,
Flag

Last edited by Flagship; 07-25-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Flagship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
SgtKaos

@ Flagship

Thank you for looking into it! It is weird, very much so to say the least because It does work on my fiancee's computer and she has Win 10 (same Edition as me Windows 10 Pro). It popped up with that same box but it correctly had the Firefox executable. So I am scratching my head on this as everything appears on the surface to be exactly the same. Maybe a different registry entry somewhere in the Cosmos? lol

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have been doing. Going back old school and copying comment URL and pasting manually.

Anyways, thanks again. Enjoy Quakecon, better yet enjoy some play time with Doom Eternal!
SgtKaos is offline   Reply With Quote