Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Sakamura

Lightbulb Suggestions for Sound input

Good day,

thanks for the Ventrilo Mac client. I have here my comments after my first uses.

- Biggest complaint: the default imput device volume mangling. Please oh please, do not set the general system volume to 100% at start. Actually, when set to Default, you should not change the volume at all. It's horrendously LOUD on my computer. To give you an idea, only the background noise nearly clips, I run it at 1/8 from zero. Also, I did set up the volume in Sound preferences, only to get it back to 100% when I went in Ventrilo, I nearly killed everyone on my channel 3 or 4 times until I finally understood every time I went to setup it reset the volume to 100% and found the proper setting that was messing with my system volume. I understand the need to change the volume level when selecting a non-default input device, I understand the need to make changes in Windows environment as Recording Volume is nigh impossible to find. But to give you an idea, I use my mic for iChat and for SIP phone. Now, when I wish to modify my input volume, I need to open Ventrilo, switch the volume, and close it. I cannot use System preferences anymore. System volume changes were nearly abolished after System 6, not a good time to put them back up

- Amplifiers are a good idea, would it be possible to add a Audio Unit stack to the inbound and outbound? That way, I could put a compressor-limiter-expander to what my folks are sending.

Thanks
Michel
Sakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Flagship
Administrator

My sound input level remains the same each time I restart the program.

The System sound control panel will let you change the input signal strength just as it always had.

Sounds to me like there is something wrong with your Mac.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Sakamura

I have just tried something.

I kept Sound open to Input, and selected a 0 volume.

I started Ventrilo.

I went to Setup, and immediately my volume changed to the setting I put on Ventrilo. I drag and drop the cursor and automatically it changes my system volume.

I press Ok. Then, the volume is set in stone. I select my sound preferences and I move the cursor around (to 0). I go back to ventrilo, I press Setup again, and the behaviour changes again.

Michel
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Flagship
Administrator

Yes, Ventrilo will restore the sound input level to what you have selected in the setup window.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Sakamura

So, like I said, either I do not touch the volume inside my Mac anymore, and set up the volume inside Ventrilo only for consistency with all my other application that uses audio... or I ban the Setup button inside Ventrilo.

No option really makes me happy, to be frank. That's why I sent this thread, I think this "feature" is actually a bug.

Thank you
Michel