Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 07-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
sixcat

Default Audio issues with just one person ...

Hey hey!

Not sure if you can help or not, but here goes =)

The guild hosting the vent server we're using is kindly attempting to switch over to the speex codec so the mac users (namely, me ;-) can participate ...

Everybody upgraded their windows clients to the current beta version, including the person running the server. Everybody appears to hear everybody just fine *except* that person running the server. *Some* of the people can hear him just fine, while others (including me) can only hear the first second or two of his broadcast before it immediately statics-out to silence ...

This does not appear to be a client issue, as everybody is running the same client on the windows side. I'm thinking it has to do with the one person's client setup somehow, but it's mystifying why some people hear him fine and others don't ...

In the meantime, since he's also an essential part of coordinating strategies and whatnot -- and it's important everybody can hear what he's saying -- the server's been switched back over to GSM until we can figure out what's going on. I just now got vent working with VPC so at least I should be able to listen-in, but that's kind of a kludgy fix ...

Any ideas from your end?

Thanks =)
sixcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

1. what upload bandwidth does the person hosting the server have? (if it's a personal server)
2. what speex format is the server config'd for?
3. if it's a personal server, how many clients are connected when the problem happens?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
sixcat

I shall ask him this evening and either he or I will post the answers tomorrow =)

Thanks so much for the reply =D
Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
mjgraf

have the person with the problem click About in Ventrilo and ensure that the latest beta is being used.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
sixcat

Hey there again!

Just wanted to say thanks once more for the replies and apologize for the delay.

It seems that the powers that be have decided to await GSM support on the Mac client for now, so I guess this is a moot issue at this point =/

Thanks again for your attention!

=)
Old 07-31-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
mjgraf

sigh, that is just crazy and I am sorry for your inconvenience because some people are afraid of change when there is nothing wrong with Venrilo's implementation of the Speex codec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixcat
Hey there again!

Just wanted to say thanks once more for the replies and apologize for the delay.

It seems that the powers that be have decided to await GSM support on the Mac client for now, so I guess this is a moot issue at this point =/

Thanks again for your attention!

=)
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
gramathy

And thats why Flagship didn't want to announce what was going to happen next.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
sixcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramathy
And thats why Flagship didn't want to announce what was going to happen next.
Well, to be fair, I'm *guessing* that's what the owner of the server is waiting for. It's possible an announcement from Flagship had nothing to do with that decision, and they are simply assuming a future version of the Mac client will "fix" the issue =)

Since now I can at least hear what's going on (which is the important part in this case) via Virtual PC, I'm guessing (again) the decision would have been the same, announcement or no from Flagship ...

=)

[edited out nonsensical wording and added a smiley ;-)]

Last edited by sixcat; 08-02-2006 at 10:52 AM.