Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
jmrsplatt

Default Will the Mac client ever allow more Codex??

yes... I'm wondering if the Mac client will ever have the ability to have the other Codex available...

The group that uses it here, switched to Speex, but switched back due to a lot of static .... mostly fixable with turning down inputs, but what can I say, some people can't do anything...

So they switched it back and us mac users are in the dark for my group now...

So i'm just wondering if I can hope to see other Codex or should I just forget it now.

Great piece of software though, truely awesome, thanks much

J
Old 11-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Ulrika

I'm wondering the same thing. The server my guild is on uses GSM.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
keysersoze

I am also hoping for an official statement from Flagship regarding this, just so I can relay some info to my very patient guild.

The problem is that the guild runs a paid Vent server from a company...it's their "high-end" server and the only available codec from the hosting company for that package is the GSM codec.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
gramathy

The Mac version is a prototype. It says on the page describing it that once it hits beta it will have every feature the Windows version has. The Windows version currently has GSM as an option. Therefore, either the Windows version will be dropping GSM (unlikely) or the Mac version will be getting it (much more likely). Also, it was said by Flagship that he was unaware that Apple supported GSM, which is why he didn't include it in the prototype version. I would say it's a sure thing that GSM will be supported, likely within the nest couple of releases, due to its popularity and quality.

SO STOP ASKING. Official word has already been said: The Mac version will eventually have the exact same functionality the Windows version has. If anything, you're just being annoying. There are no less than five threads ON THIS VERY TOPIC, adding more just fills up the forum.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
jmrsplatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramathy
The Mac version is a prototype. It says on the page describing it that once it hits beta it will have every feature the Windows version has. The Windows version currently has GSM as an option. Therefore, either the Windows version will be dropping GSM (unlikely) or the Mac version will be getting it (much more likely). Also, it was said by Flagship that he was unaware that Apple supported GSM, which is why he didn't include it in the prototype version. I would say it's a sure thing that GSM will be supported, likely within the nest couple of releases, due to its popularity and quality.

SO STOP ASKING. Official word has already been said: The Mac version will eventually have the exact same functionality the Windows version has. If anything, you're just being annoying. There are no less than five threads ON THIS VERY TOPIC, adding more just fills up the forum.

As I appreciate you responding with some good information, I don't appreciate the flame,...I read through quite a few topics and even searched the forum with no result to my exact question. I'm not going to waste more of my time when I can just post and ask... and get an answer. thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
halprin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrsplatt
I'm not going to waste more of my time when I can just post and ask... and get an answer. thanks!
That is being plain lazy. Just read the webpages that talk about the Mac client.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
gramathy

It was not a flame. If it was a flame, it would have contained invective, insults, and derogatory comments regarding your family heritage. As it was, it is merely a somewhat forceful reply to a question that could have been answered by simply looking at the current status page:

Quote:
While functional, this version is called a Prototype because the internal architecture is radically different from the Windows client and is currently evolving with each successive release. Once the architecture has been fully developed the program will enter the Beta stage. By the time this happens the Mac client should have most, if not all, of the features of the Windows client.
I'll repeat thhe pertinent for those of you that keep seeming to miss it.

Quote:
By the time [the client enters the Beta stage] the Mac client should have most, if not all, of the features of the Windows client.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #8
CDavis

Quote:
Functionality and Codecs are not one in the same. The programs may function the same, have the same features, but be missing an option. The GSM codec is not required to exist for the fine folks that have created Vent to honestly say the programs have the same functionality.

I understand the frustrations that people are feeling. The official voices of Ventrilo have dodged the topic time and again. I am in a guild that is trying to work out a way to use Speex, but also has concerns about an apparent significant change in bandwidth which may prohibit some of our dial-up members (they live in areas without DSL so telling them to get that won't work) from using vent.

I would be helpful to have an official response, but if patterns hold this request will be followed simply by a locked thread.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
gramathy

http://ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9540

This makes it pretty clear to me that GSM will be included eventually.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #10
cryptonomicon

Just wondering - a year after this thread started with everyone stating just around the corner - whether the GSM codecs will be implemented or not.

Reason: I am guild master in a warcraft raiding guild - a new guy that just came in can't use vent on raids

The reason I am here is to see if that if I can find a way for him to get himself set up via an emulator or an improved version of the codecs, but if they dont exist I am afraid he will have to leave. And I am afraid no more mac users will be joining.
Closed Thread