Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 08-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #1
socalrob

Default Problem with 32bit ventrilo crashing games

My system can run both 32 and 64bit os'. Previously I ran 64bit windows xp, but switched to 32bit xp due to lack of driver support.

When I ran 64bit windows, I ran the 64bit ventrilo client. I did not have this issue.

What is happening is if I run ventrilo and a game, it will crash the game. Battlefield 1942 is the most problimatic. If ventrilo is NOT running then the games run fine.

It does not seem to be an issue with drivers. All my drivers are up to date. My operating system is up to date.

I run 2 sound cards. One is a Soundblaster Live 24bit which is completely up to date on drivers, and runs the game sounds, system sounds and music. I use the onboard audio from my motherboard for ventrilo.

As I said before I have no issues if ventrilo is not running, it only has the problem with ventrilo is running. If I start ventrilo then start the game, it crashes, as well as if I start the game and then start ventrilo. So none of those methods work. I have switched the sound cards around, had ventrilo come out the soundblaster and the game through onboard audio, and it still had this issue.

Ventrilo will run fine with every other application, even itunes , it only has an issue crashing games, and it seems to only be with the 32 bit client.

My windows XP is a clean install, tested both with sp2 and sp3. No other software is running, such as virus software or firewall. It was only the game and ventrilo.

System specs:
pentium D 3ghz
2gb ddr2 533
Geforce 7800gtx
Soundblaster Live 24bit (system sound and game sound)
Intel d955xbk mobo with onboard sound (all ventrilo sounds and chat)

I turned down the hardware accelleration on the sound cards and that didn't help either.
socalrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

let's start with this:

http://ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15678
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
socalrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
Been there done that. None of those are running. In fact none of those are installed. I just have the straight driver installed for the soundblaster, none of that control panel crap.

Its mainly BF1942 that this problem is happening with. I ran warcraft 3 last night for 40 minutes and had no issues, and ran Unreal Tournament 2004 for 25 minutes with no issues. Battlefield will have an issue after about 5.

I read on the WoW forums that this is happening with WoW as well, and to solve it the person downgraded to 3.0.0 ventrilo client instead of 3.0.1 client. So I am going to try that. It seems to be an issue with the 3.0.1 client, since it never happened with the 64bit client, nor does it happen without ventrilo running.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
socalrob

Ok i'm adding something to this.

I tested with the 3.0.0 client with no luck. It still crashed. I then found out that it only crashes the game when I am connected to a ventrilo server. And it does not matter what server I am connected to, nor what codec or bitrate they are running at, it still crashes the game. I had ventrilo running without being connected to a ventrilo server, and the game ran fine with no errors.

And it is only doing it with bf1942, which is pretty much the only game I want to play.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

thoughts on possibilities:

lan card settings -

1. Click on Start.
2. Click on Control Panel.
3. Double click on the System icon (in Windows XP, you may need to click Switch to Classic View on the left hand side of the screen).
4. Select the Hardware tab.
5. Click on Device Manager.
6. Expand the section labeled Network Adapters.
7. Right click on your network card and select Properties.
8. Follow the steps below to change specific settings that may help resolve this issue.
  • Select the Advanced tab. You may have a Checksum Offload property, if so choose the Disabled option. Not all network card drivers will list the name as "Checksum Offload" exactly, but it should be named something similar. Most cards that include this option are built in to motherboards using the nForce chipset. This may also be listed as Hardware Checksumming.
  • Also, on the Advanced tab; try changing the Speed/Duplex to Force 100 Full Duplex. Change this to Force base 100 Full duplex. If you have an older router you may need to use base 10 full duplex. This may also be listed as Media Type/Connection Type.
  • If you have a Power Management tab in your network card properties, click it and unselect the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if selected.

memory settings -

did you add memory and set the timings in bios to the manufacturers recommendations or did you set your own timings?

Memory Test

http://www.memtest86.com/

disable all un-used lan cards

in DxDiag, try setting hardware acceleration down 1 notch

start/run/dxdiag
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
socalrob

Done all that everything is fine.

Seems to be something with the sound cards. Vent isn't liking running dual cards. I have somewhat fixed the problem, for now at least.

I had to put all audio through windows onto the onboard mobo sound, then in vent set it to run through the sound blaster. If I run all sounds through the sound blaster and vent through the onboard through the vent settings, 1) the games will still crash and 2) no sound through vent.

Odd little problem.