Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
blue782

Exclamation cant change my codec

So my server is using the Speex codec and im currently defaulted to GSM 6.10. when i went into setup to change it Speex i selected it and hit okay. then when i went to talk it wouldnt let me and i couldnt hear others. so i checked my setup and it was back to GSM. i tried to change it several more times and it still wont save to Speex
blue782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Jaycyn

Couple of things:

That will happen if you are not connected to the host first.

If you connect to the host, and then click the Setup button, In the Voice Tab, the lower left corner should be the Test With area and the Codec should default to whatever the server is set to (I assume), which should be Speex in your case. That area does NOT set your codec setttings; it's just an area for testing. Your Vent client reads the codec settings from the host automatically, so there is nothing to futz with.

This is the reason you can change the settings on a server and everyone's clients will just work without any hassle.

On mine, if I set it to for example, None, then click Ok, then go back in, it defaults back to Speex. It sounds like your server is still set to GSM or a codec that is not being recognized. If it is for sure set to Speex, then here's a couple of things to try.

If Vent is not behaving:
1) Repair your disk permissions using Disk Utility and try again
2) Vent stores preferences in your Home Folder->Library->Preferences->Ventrilo.
Inside that folder there is a ventrilo.log file you can inspect to see if there are any errors or other weirdness. You can toss out that whole folder and reinstall vent if all else fails, but I would do that only as a last-ditch approach as you will need to re-set up all of your Vent prefs.
One other thing to check on the server is to set Vent to a known good codec: Here is our settings.
Speex 16 KHz, 16 bit, 10 Qlty
Hope that helps - please let us know.

Last edited by Jaycyn; 07-24-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
blue782

okay so it ends up that my server uses the GSM 6.10 codec. and from what ive heard vent hasnt made the mac update that supports it
blue782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
daeus

There actually is no way for Vent to make an update to support it as Microsoft owns the licensing on GSM and Apple does not, thus, the Mac version of Vent will never support GSM. The solution for you is to simply get the server admin to swap the codec from GSM to Speex (literally takes less than 5 minutes) and you'll be all set. What's more, no one will have to update their clients or anything, whether they be on PCs or Macs.
daeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Redglare

i know this is the most common problem for mac users and we're always whinging about it, but it is rly annoying. i managed to get my vent admin to change it from gsm to speex[not an easy task when there's over 3000 users in our alliance and only 4 mac users, sigh]. but i got them to try it for 3 days to see what people thought and apparently the vent server would randomly drop people a lot, so now they've changed it back to gsm and we're locked out again, which sucks.

any ideas why this happened? to be honest i don't think i'm gonna be able to get them to swap it back again.

also, could vent not make speex the default setting so that way everyone can use it by default and mac users don't have to spend days trying to bug admin peeps to change it over for them. kinda sucks in my opinion. especially as everyone says that speex has the same quality but at a reduced bandwidth.
Redglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Jaycyn

Our guild has been running Speex for about 4 years and with three different Vent hosts and we have had zero issues. We often have guildies forget to log out of vent, and still stay connected for days on end.

It's possible that the Speex codec that was selected was too high a bandwidth for some of the users. In that case, simply drop it down and re-try. The same thing would happen if you picked a GSM codec that was too high - it will get laggy and drop users due to the lag.

Speex 16 KHz, 16 bit, 10 Qlty is working perfectly for us, but your mileage may vary, so try changing it to 16/16/6 or even 8/16/8 and see if that makes a difference. Make sure to tell your Vent admin that you can generally set Speex to a lower setting than you did with GSM and achieve similar quality (in my experience).
Old 08-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Redglare

cheers mate. i'll give that a go and see if i can persuade them.
Redglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Mranderson

How do the Admin change theese settings? he can't find the right way to do it...
Mranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Jaycyn

It's pretty simple really. You will need to log into the website of whoever is hosting your Vent server - we use Darkstar (www.darkstarllc.com) which we have been very happy with.

Log in to your account and go to the server configuration area; on Darkstar there is a link on the site that says 'Manage Ventrilo Servers'

I then scroll down the page to where it says

Voice Codec: Speex (16Khz, 16bit, 10 Qlth 5324 Bytes/Sec)

The Speex part is a popup list where I can pick one of about 30 Speex codecs or GSM Codec.

I select the one I want, then at the bottom of the page it says Save Settings. The server restarts and wham-o (That's right, wham-o) it's done and all the clients automatically change to the new codec.

Last edited by Jaycyn; 09-23-2009 at 01:31 PM.