Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
Savage99

Default Help!....SETUP won't work

Hey guys i am new to the ventrilo forums. I have used this program before but now when i installed it here tonight everything worked fine except for when i wanted to go into the SETUP i would click on it and it would shut the whole program down. I have tried to uninstall and and re-install it and that doesn't work either so i hope that one of u guys can help me figure this out so i can use it again.

Thx,
Savage99
Old 11-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
allyours

What was your "hot key" for opening your mic for voice?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Savage99

i can't get into my set up to see what my hot key is
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
allyours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage99 View Post
i can't get into my set up to see what my hot key is
Just a thought here that might work...

Keep pressing your "Tab" key till your at the Setup. When there then press the Enter key. That might get you into your setup.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Chaotic Descent

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyours View Post
Just a thought here that might work...

Keep pressing your "Tab" key till your at the Setup. When there then press the Enter key. That might get you into your setup.
I have the same problem.
I can't tab to setup. It just doesn't go to that row of buttons at all.
I thought maybe I had the problem it mentioned of "freezing up" (even though it quits instead of freezes) so I tried holding CTRL, which gives an error when it quits, but that ALSO disappears too fast for me to read the error. Also, my audio drivers are up to date. (onboard Intel sound drivers haven't been updated on the manufacturer's website since they came out years ago)

Well, someone else mentioned the key binding. Since I can't GET into setup to find out, I looked for my settings file. (under My Documents\username\program files\Ventrillo\) backed it up, then deleted the original.
It still crashes. WTF is this garbage? If the damned thing WON'T WORK, how about offering a previous version to download like 3.0.0 instead of 3.0.1?

Last edited by Chaotic Descent; 11-24-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
allyours

The problem with using previous versions would be that they most likely would not be compatible with the new server if installed.

Can you click any of the buttons on the right. You might be able to use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to navigate to "Setup".
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Chaotic Descent

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyours View Post
The problem with using previous versions would be that they most likely would not be compatible with the new server if installed.
client 3.0.0 would not be compatible with server 3.0.2, but client 3.0.1 is??
like I said, new versions of my onboard audio drivers haven't been released since 2005, so there's nothing to upgrade TO.

Quote:
Can you click any of the buttons on the right. You might be able to use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to navigate to "Setup".
Oh. I found out how to tab to it. The setup I had used graphical buttons that you couldn't tab to. When I deleted my .ini file and it made a new one, I was able to tab to it, but it still crashes. (of course)

I don't know... my computer isn't in the best shape. It's been a little slower than normal the past few months. still... it means I have to clear up my files, make backups, clean off my main drive, reformat, reinstall... just to get Vent working. I wish I couldn't accidentally "break" my computer through lack of maintenance. It would be nice if installing programs wouldn't break the OS.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
mjgraf

http://www.ventrilo.com/faq.php#misc2
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Chaotic Descent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgraf View Post
It still closes the app when I hold down CTRL while clicking on setup. I've managed to read the error message that is up for a fraction of a second. It says "System sound mixer information will be ignored".
So does that mean that's NOT the problem?

I already said that my sound drivers are at the latest version (which haven't been updated by the manufacturer in years. there's nothing I can do about that) and you missed that part.

edit: I should mention that Vent DOES work. I can connect to servers, hear everyone talking, change channels. I just can't enter setup or speak. Does Vent even HAVE a default mic button, or not until you enter setup? I have a hard time believing there are problems with the sound driver if Vent has no problem using them until I enter setup.
I also uninstalled a bunch of programs in the hopes that this would "fix" my PC. It didn't.
I also got a previous version 3.0.0 and installed it for just this user instead of all users. That didn't work either. Exactly the same behavior.
DirectX is at the latest version (which hasn't been updated in ages anyways).

Last edited by Chaotic Descent; 11-28-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
Mazen80

Default same here is my error message

Failed to open main PTT Hotkey DirectInput device(s). rc = -2

can some1 help plz
Closed Thread