Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
deanguyer

[IMG]file:///Users/deanguyer/Desktop/Picture%201.png[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///Users/deanguyer/Desktop/Picture%202.png[/IMG]

hope this works
deanguyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
wadesworld

You need to upload the images to a temporary image hosting site like photobucket.com.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
mjgraf

or if they are small enough, attach them to your post.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
deanguyer

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
deanguyer

huh, they came up as links
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #16
wadesworld

Yep - that's a GSM server.

Have the server admin reconfigure it for the Speex codec.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #17
mrcoffee

Default GSM vs Speex

Okay, this is more than a little frustrating. Whenever someone asks about this issue, the standard response is "Just have the admin change to the Speex codec".
It isn't as easy as that. I just got into a new, very large guild in WoW. I am possibly the only Mac user in the guild. There is no way in the world they are going to reconfigure their vent server just for me. So, what, I'm just SOL? I got kicked out of a raid the other night because I was the only one who couldn't listen on vent and I wiped the whole raid twice because of it.
Can someone give some more useful answers than just have the administrators change the codec. It may mess up the sound for anyone else in the guild who doesn't have the latest version, so why in the world would they change it just for me? This is insane.
mrcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
wadesworld

There is no current support for GSM in the Mac version. So yes, if they refuse to change, you are out of luck until the next major version is released. We do not know when that will be.

Quote:
It may mess up the sound for anyone else in the guild who doesn't have the latest version, so why in the world would they change it just for me?
Um, so that anyone can participate in their guild? They should all be running the latest beta anyhow. Frankly, if they don't care enough about you to change, then they simply don't care whether you're there or not and I'd be looking for another guild.

I realize convincing a large guild to switch is not an easy process, but since you have no other solution right now, you might as well expend your energy there. (Of course there are other solutions - if you have an Intel Mac you can run in bootcamp mode or buy parallels / vmware and Windows)

Quote:
There is no way in the world they are going to reconfigure their vent server just for me.
Sounds like you haven't even approached them. Figure out who the reasonable officers are and talk it out with them.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #19
mrcoffee

Default GSM vs Speex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
There is no current support for GSM in the Mac version. So yes, if they refuse to change, you are out of luck until the next major version is released. We do not know when that will be.

Um, so that anyone can participate in their guild? They should all be running the latest beta anyhow. Frankly, if they don't care enough about you to change, then they simply don't care whether you're there or not and I'd be looking for another guild.

I realize convincing a large guild to switch is not an easy process, but since you have no other solution right now, you might as well expend your energy there. (Of course there are other solutions - if you have an Intel Mac you can run in bootcamp mode or buy parallels / vmware and Windows)

Sounds like you haven't even approached them. Figure out who the reasonable officers are and talk it out with them.
Perhaps you missed a few key points. This is a fairly large guild, and I am a new member. My old guild was just absorbed into this larger one. I can try asking them to change their server settings, but imagine if you were in their position. Why would you change that and perhaps cause problems for everyone else for just one person? Sure they should all be using the latest version of Vent, but out of 100+ active guild members, do you really think everyone is likely to be up to date?
mrcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #20
Kanlous

I agree with mrcoffee

I also am in a fairly large guild

I asked the server adimin about changing the codec from the current GSM 6.10 to Speex for me and he replied that there were several people in the guide that couldn't use Speex
Kanlous is offline   Reply With Quote