Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
slavens713

Default Mac Client GSM Support??

Is ventrilo for mac ever gonna support the GSM codec?? Please?! This is a huge problem due to the fact that nearly all servers run on the GSM and speex is a piece of crap for windows users...Maybe in the next Prototype??? Anyone know any news about this dilemma?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
wadesworld

Quote:
This is a huge problem due to the fact that nearly all servers run on the GSM
Not nearly all servers run GSM. In fact, I'd say 75% of the servers I connect to run Speex.

Quote:
Anyone know any news about this dilemma?
The news is the same. It will be addressed in the next MAJOR release of Ventrilo. We do not know whether that release will come in a week, a month or a year. There is not and will not be a release date announced until it's ready.

Quote:
speex is a piece of crap for windows users
This is not true.

There can be voice quality problems if all Windows users on the server aren't running the 2.3.2 beta 3 version (simply due to a bug in 2.3.0). However, *tons* of servers are running Speex without issue and many administrators think it sounds better than GSM at equivalent bitrates.

Last edited by wadesworld; 01-20-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Ur-Jack

I concour with the above. Speex codec is perfectly acceptable as a subsititue if the sample and bit rates are comparable. Most of the users on my ventrilo were not even aware of the change when I switched it to speex.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
Datheral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
This is not true.

There can be voice quality problems if all Windows users on the server aren't running the 2.3.2 beta 3 version (simply due to a bug in 2.3.0)
In big servers that have alot of people join irregularly, I'd say that's a pretty large annoying problem. I can't believe how long they have had this problem out for and they haven't fixed it. The server I run just had to switch away from speex and just screw the mac users because of it.
Closed Thread