Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
BigJim

Hi,
I am new to the mic input headset Mac world. I bought an Altec Lansing AS515 because I want to do some vocal work with Garageband. I can hear iTunes through the speakers but there is no signal on the mic input. I read the above posts and have to assume the problem is as stated by WADESWORLD:
On any Macintosh, if you're plugging into an "Audio In" or Microphone port, then you cannot use a standard PC headset or microphone. Standard headsets and microphones are mic-level (unamplified). The Mac requires a line-level signal. There are three ways to get this:

1) Use a powered microphone. These are pretty rare and would be hard to find these days
2) Use a USB headset
3) Use a USB converter. This allows you to plug in a standard PC headset. A Griffin iMic is this type of converter.

Seems like I screwed up by purchasing this, right? Do I then return the item and pick up a USB headset? Are there any you recommend?
Thank you so much!
Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
wadesworld

You can either return it and get a USB one, or get one of these:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

I use a Logitech USB headset I picked up at BestBuy. Don't recall the model number, but I believe it was the only Logitech USB one they had.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
drewidz

Wadesworld, u seems to know it all...I have everything correct and yet still am unable to speak in WoW. I have a USB Logitech Desktop mic. Im using this one vs. the USB headset mic so I can listen with my headphones (which are nicer) but am thinking that may b the problem. Looking at your screenshots, there is one big difference with mine--my output does NOT have my Logitech mic as an option--only Default, Built In Audio and my OO2 that's connected. Your screenshot shows u have the option for your USB headset for both input/output. Otherwise my input has the mic as an option.

In my preferences, I AM sending signal. I hear everyone just fine too...just cant talk. So im getting input into the computer and in vent because the Monitor feature verifies that as well. It's on Speex and there are other mac users with OSX that can speak. Nothings muted either so...I dunno. It worked for 15 seconds ONE TIME. I've downloaded each of the newest versions as they came with same problem.

I would take screenshots but I've been fiddling with them and they're all too big to fit the tiny requirements for an image. The default viewer (my only viewer) does not resize images. Despite cropping, still too big. Frusrated...heh...can u help? TY
drewidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
wadesworld

Quote:
my output does NOT have my Logitech mic as an option--only Default, Built In Audio and my OO2 that's connected. Your screenshot shows u have the option for your USB headset for both input/output. Otherwise my input has the mic as an option.
If it's just a mic then it will not show up in the output.

Quote:
So im getting input into the computer and in vent because the Monitor feature verifies that as well.
What kind of numbers do you get in Monitor? Do you hear yourself well in Test mode?

Quote:
I would take screenshots but I've been fiddling with them and they're all too big to fit the tiny requirements for an image. The default viewer (my only viewer) does not resize images.
Post them on a temporary site like **********.us and just post a link here.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
mjgraf

also ensure that enable outgoing comm is checked in setup.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote