Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
wowmacvent

Default A way to listen without speex?

I hear that there is a way to listen on vent without the server having speex. Can anyone tell me how?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Calibos

Using an intel mac and bootcamp and booting up in the Windows OS? But what a cruel way to treat your Mac
Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
wowmacvent

Is that the only way?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Calibos

As far as I know, yes.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
wowmacvent

What about using a windows emulator? I'm getting an error message when I try to start of Vent, something about some kinda DL file not being found. Any ideas?

DINPUT8.dll not found.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
mjgraf

just change the server to speex codec and ensure that all the windows clients are using the latest beta release. issue corrected
Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Dubheasa

Default Will there be a fix?

It is extremely unrealistic of me to ask 100+ members to make sure to update to the beta client so that 3 of our members who have macs can use Ventrilo.

Is this going to be fixed so that macs can use the same codecs as PCs without going through this? In July an admin said that it would be, but in September there was an update and the change wasn't addressed.

Will it be addressed or not?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
wadesworld

Quote:
It is extremely unrealistic of me to ask 100+ members to make sure to update to the beta client so that 3 of our members who have macs can use Ventrilo.
Why is it extremely unrealistic? I personally know of seven guilds that have done it, and I'd be willing to bet dozens have.

Quote:
Is this going to be fixed so that macs can use the same codecs as PCs without going through this? In July an admin said that it would be, but in September there was an update and the change wasn't addressed.
Flagship has said the problem will be addressed in the next MAJOR release. What we don't know is when that release will occur. Given that we have no timeframe, you have two choices:

1) Wait
2) Work with your guild to move to Speex.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Dubheasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
Why is it extremely unrealistic? I personally know of seven guilds that have done it, and I'd be willing to bet dozens have.
Well, considering there are thousands of guilds that use Vent in WoW, "dozens" isn't exactly a shining beacon in the night. Have you ever tried to get one hundred people to all do the same thing at the same time without having to resort to threats? Realistically we are going to have to deal with the headache, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
Flagship has said the problem will be addressed in the next MAJOR release. What we don't know is when that release will occur.
That's the problem. Right now we have two clients that are mutually exclusive. In order to get them to talk to each other you have to go through a lot of headache... and no one will tell us when it's over.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to tell the customer /when/ the products will be compatible out of the box.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
wadesworld

Quote:
I think it's perfectly reasonable to tell the customer /when/ the products will be compatible out of the box.
Not if you don't know. Developers who publish release dates before the code is done always get themselves into trouble.
Closed Thread