Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
doroteasenjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
Does your icon light up green when you press the push-to-talk key?
When i press the push-to-talk key, the icon lights up. My guild reports that my voice comes through loud and clear just like it used to.

However, if I am in a different application, such as the Finder, the icon no longer lights up when I press the key. I have the checkbox for assistive applications checked in the Universal Access preference pane.
doroteasenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
doroteasenjk

Looking back on the history of my use of the application, I believe that there are several bugs.

1) If you ever select Push-to-talk, then you are stuck using push-to-talk even if you disable it. Thus, it will not revert to "always on" or whatever your terminology is.

2) There is a configuration problem such that I cannot use push-to-talk from other applications. One of my guildies says that he has no problem using push-to-talk from World of Warcraft on his Mac, so there is something transient, much like bug #1.

3) Ventrilo does not recognize function keys F14 and F15. Pressing them when selecting the push-to-talk key yields no response.

4) Ventrilo does not properly record F16 as F16, but instead uses "UNK" notation to indicate that it is not familiar with an Apple keyboard.

5) (More of a design deficiency really) Ventrilo should be enabling and disabling assistive technologies itself, using the System application and Applescript.

6) I don't know how to characterize that I can't use push-to-talk outside of the Vent application itself. With all of the checkboxes having the recommended values, I suspect that there is an order and "secret state" that has to be carried out to make it work. I reread the Known Issues thread, and there are several issues around PTT.

In particular, if "Enable assistive devices" in Universal Access is checked when Ventrilo starts up, then PTT should work between applications.

I will play some more with these tonight.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
doroteasenjk

Well, I can now use Ventrilo in World of Warcraft.

My prior messages described the issues I encountered, and I hope the bug reports end up being used to fix the next version of the client. The fragility of the client is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Similarly, the lack of documentation is also an issue.

Thank you for your suggestions, all. They helped keep me focused on the problem solving and eventually get it done.

See you later.