Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Keamos

Any users thinking Speex sounds bad should have their ears checked--perhaps they got that perception from TS's implementation of Speex--the max quality of their implementation is only 25.7(27.9? High-end 20s)kbit/s, where as Ventrilo's is nearly double that.
Keamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
SteveJobs

Our server conversion had a lot of problems, it was choppy and there were loud screeches within everyone's talking, was this because the admin messed something up in the ini file? I'm trying to resolve this because I'm thinking they didn't do it correctly. Consequently they changed it back to GSM and I'm SOL again (I was using 2 computers before, so I have to go back to that again...ugh)
SteveJobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #13
bigred

One thing that I've noticed is regards to the Speex codec is that it is not very forgiving of audio clipping.
Where as GSM just muffles and distorts, Speex tends to turn the clipped audio into a high pitched squeal.

I've found that the 32 KHz settings tend to make the problem even worse. In my subjective tests I found that 16 KHz, 16 bit, 9 Qlty, was a good match for those that are migrating from GSM 22 KHz, 16 bit to Speex. It has similar quality, and roughly the same bandwidth requirements (actually slightly less usage). Also the 16 KHz options tend to sound more natural with less high-pitched frequency distortion over all.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #14
Keamos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJobs
Our server conversion had a lot of problems, it was choppy and there were loud screeches within everyone's talking, was this because the admin messed something up in the ini file? I'm trying to resolve this because I'm thinking they didn't do it correctly. Consequently they changed it back to GSM and I'm SOL again (I was using 2 computers before, so I have to go back to that again...ugh)
Just a note (yeah, I know this topic is old-ish), Windows clients need to get the beta (at the bottom of the download page) for Windows to fix that problem. Then, there's sometimes a very quiet clicking/popping like that, but it's basically gone.
Keamos is offline   Reply With Quote