Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
jaman89

Default help

how can we fix it so the speex codec doesnt make it choppy when we are talking!!
jaman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Nationvoice.com

Raise the codec higher. Were using speex 32khz 16bit 8 quality & its not choppy.
Nationvoice.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
Juush

Alright. I'm not a mac user, so I don't understand much of what goes on in that box. I'm having an issue trying to setup ventrilo for my friend on our server. She can connect fine. I can see her name, her her login, move her from channel to channel, but I can't hear what she says and she can't hear anything from us. She presses her push to talk button but her speaker doesn't light up from red to green like ours (Windows users) does. I read about changing the codec, but I'm not going through that in order to get her on. Does the entire codec have to be changed in order for her to hear/talk? I was assuming she wouldn't even be able to connect if the codec didn't match. In the codec list she sees the GSM 6.10 option along with Speex, but it wont let her switch to Speex. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else has run into this problem and if they found any solutions to it. Is this only because of the codex difference?
Juush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
Nationvoice.com

I'm a bit confused. The server codec must be set to Speed in order for any Mac client to connect. GSM will not work. If she hits her push to talk key & the server is in fact on Speex, then it is a configuration error (on her client), not server error.
Nationvoice.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
wadesworld

Quote:
I read about changing the codec, but I'm not going through that in order to get her on.
You're not going to "go through" changing 2 lines in your configuration file?

Quote:
Does the entire codec have to be changed in order for her to hear/talk?
Yes.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:13 AM   #6
Camtron

It seems kinda lame to me that I have to trouble every server I join to make them switch there server configurations so they can hear me and me hear them. Is ther not anything that can be done to remove this inconvenience.
Camtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
PopeZaphod

The Mac prototype version only supports the Speex codec. If you're a Mac user and want to use Vent, the Vent server must be configured to use Speex. Eventually the Mac client will have all the features of the Windows client. Until then the servers will need to be switched, and the Windows users should download the latest beta version to get the best speech quality.

But it's really not a big deal. In fact, most people agree that the Speex codec sounds BETTER than GSM. It is, as you said, an inconvenience - and a very, very small one at that. If you're unwilling to go through the "trouble" of having the server host take 30 seconds to change the server config and restart the Vent server, then just sit in silence. Or better yet, read through more threads in this forum before asking things that have been answered elsewhere.
PopeZaphod is offline   Reply With Quote