Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
Stecchino

Default "Unable to resolve" error / Any "test" servers available?

I add my many thanks to the developers who are bringing this to the Mac platform!

Please NOTE: This is NOT the "Unable to connect to server" error that some others had reported.

I keep getting an "Unable to resolve the specified servers DNS/Hostname" error as shown in the picture below.

http://myfilestash.com/userfiles/Ste...eToResolve.png

Having never connected to any Ventrilo server successfully yet, including the one I'm attempting to connect to, it would be useful to attempt connecting to a publicly-available "test" server, one that is known to be up and running for sure. I'm also guessing that it would have to be a server that allowed the Speex codec, due to Speex being the only one supported by our Mac client at this time.

I'm wondering 2 things:
  • How can I troubleshoot this error?
  • Does anyone know of a publicly-available test server that I could try to connect to?
BTW, I HAVE verified the server name a couple of times and I've tried connecting with the Mac OS X firewall on (with port 3784 enabled on TCP and UDP) and also with the firewall off completely with no change in outcome. I tried pinging this server using Network Utility. I got no pings back from the server I'm attempting to connect to so I fear that it's useless for my testing purposes.

Thanks in advance.

-Stec

EDIT: I've since confirmed that I was receiving this error message because the server I attempted to connect to is either no longer running or is temporarily down. I located a Battlefield 2 public clan server and connected immediately (something I'd been previously unsuccessful in doin), although I got the "...You've connected just fine but you cannot speak or hear b/c this server uses GSM" message. Does anyone know of any public servers that use Speex?

Last edited by Stecchino; 11-07-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Stecchino is offline   Reply With Quote