Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
BlackLeaf

Default Newb here. "Unable to connect" error

Before I start, I'd like to add my thanks to the many I already see on these forums for showing that the Mac Vent client development is coming along nicely . Now for my question at hand

My guild switched to the Speex codec, so I decided to try joining the server. There is no password set for it, and no default channel needed to be specified. I filled out the information for my username to make it match my character's name. Then I put the IP address and port into the proper fields for the server information. Before connecting, I made sure I had port 3784 forwarded on my router so as to assure that it would not interfere. When I hit connect though, all I get is "unable to connect to server". And that's it. I have played around with the prefs a little bit including disabling the Outgoing voice communications, Push-To-Talk-Hotkey, and Key clicks under the Voice tab in the Setup. I went and set all the event sounds to do Nothing, and unchcked all the boxes under the Binds tab. That has not made any noticeable difference. Everytime I click Connect its the same error.

At this point, I'm going to hazard a guess that I'm getting the error because I am using my speakers instead of a USB headset. That is the only thing that I can really fathom that's going wrong since I spoke to the guy in my guild who handles the Vent server, and we went through and made sure I had the correct information for it and everything. FWIW, I'm running MacOS 10.4.3, PowerMac 1.6ghz, 1.25gb of RAM, Radeon X800 graphics card, and have NO sound cards installed. Please let me know of any additional information I should try to provide if my headset theory is incorrect. Thank you for your time.
BlackLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
halprin

Having or not having a USB headset will not make a difference in you connecting. So you sure you are typing in the IP correctly and the port? The port mapping on your router is only if you are hosting.
halprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
BlackLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by halprin
Having or not having a USB headset will not make a difference in you connecting. So you sure you are typing in the IP correctly and the port? The port mapping on your router is only if you are hosting.
[Original post deleted due to user incompetence]

EDIT:Ah once again I prove how quick I am to jump the gun. I finally had the brillant idea of copying and pasting the info. And you know what? I DID have the port number wrong! Let this be a lesson, sleep is good. Get plenty of it the night before so that you misread stuff like I did. Golly I hate it when that happens to me.

Last edited by BlackLeaf; 11-05-2005 at 03:44 PM.
BlackLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
shidarin

Try unspecifying the port on your router.
shidarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
halprin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLeaf
[Original post deleted due to user incompetence]

EDIT:Ah once again I prove how quick I am to jump the gun. I finally had the brillant idea of copying and pasting the info. And you know what? I DID have the port number wrong! Let this be a lesson, sleep is good. Get plenty of it the night before so that you misread stuff like I did. Golly I hate it when that happens to me.
Hehe, glad that it is working now!
halprin is offline   Reply With Quote