Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Thriandis

Default Ventrilo lag and ping problem

I have not had many problems with ventrilo before, but lately i have been. I have been finding myself bouncing between 1k and 40k Ping, and i have no clue why. I have tried buying a new mic and that did not work. A lot of the people i go in ventrilo with say i start talking then cut in and out. I am running on a imac.

Any help appreciated.
Thriandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Jaycyn

See the suggestions in this thread

http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=46598
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Thriandis

since im using a wireless connection and have no access to number 1 i did all the other things.

also the post you led me to is completely opposite. people have trouble with my chopping in and out and taking a long time for them to hear me. The person in that post is having the problem of it being hard for them to hear others.

I did repair permissions, and number 2 and 3 and all of them are negative. I have no problems having my laptop at the same level in the house and using the same connection which is really weird. any further help is appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by Thriandis; 03-07-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Jaycyn

Understood - the starting steps of troubleshooting are the same for either issue.

If you are wireless, that may be part of the issue - there are few things to check out.

1) Go here
http://www.speakeasy.net/
and run the speed test. Please post your Download and Upload speeds

2) Post the specifics of your wireless router. Brand, Model # and firmware version if you know how to find that. This information could be critical to solving your conundrum.

3) What kind of internet provider connection are you using, DSL, Cable, something else?

4) What Mac do you have? Model # or processor type and speed and how much ram? Oh, and which OS?

Last edited by Jaycyn; 03-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Thriandis

1) 25.66 Mbps Download Speed
12.22 Mbps Upload Speed

2) Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D
Firmware: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

3) Verizon Fios

4) iMac 10.6.6 Snow leopard 4GB ram Mac OS X
Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Jaycyn

ah - well, right off the bat, those darn Fios are very... quirky.

The wireless portion of it is 802.11g/b and if you connect *any* device do it at b speeds, the whole unit throttles down to b speed for all devices.

Secondly the g wireless range is supposed to be 50' but you will rarely get that - most folks get about 10'... Outside of that you drop to b speeds again.

Also, I have heard about limited bandwidth and security issues as well. Limited bandwidth meaning the more devices you connect, the slower it goes. They are also susceptible to interference from other wireless networks and cordless phones (and microwave ovens believe it or not).

That's where I would initially point the finger. The only way to test that however is to directly connect to it and not use wireless to test the performance. Even just for 20 minutes... long enough to get on vent and have a conversation.

Your up and down speeds look too high for a standard Vios setup.. I believe the standard setup is 15 Mbit/s down and 5 Mbit/s up in most areas. (bundled with FiOS TV Prime HD). You may have upped your subscription however, which would account for the 'better performance'

The D version of the Actiontec is a bit dated... E is the current one so you may want to see if you can get that swapped out.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Carbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycyn View Post
ah - well, right off the bat, those darn Fios are very... quirky.

The wireless portion of it is 802.11g/b and if you connect device do it at b speeds, the whole unit throttles down to b speed for all devices.

Secondly the g wireless range is supposed to be 50' but you will rarely get that - most folks get about 10' Outside of that you drop to b speeds again.

Also, I have heard about limited bandwidth and security issues as well. Limited bandwidth meaning the more devices you connect, the slower it goes. They are also susceptible to interference from other wireless networks and cordless phones (and microwave ovens believe it or not).

That's where I would initially point the finger. The only way to test that however is to directly connect to it and not use wireless to test the performance. Even just for 20 minutes... long enough to get on vent and have a conversation.

Your up and down speeds look too high for a standard Vios setup.. I believe the standard setup is 15 Mbit/s down and 5 Mbit/s up in most areas. (bundled with FiOS TV Prime HD). You may have upped your subscription however, which would account for the 'better performance'

The D version of the Actiontec is a bit dated is the current one so you may want to see if you can get that swapped out.

I did repair permissions, and number 2 and 3 and all of them are negative. I have no problems having my laptop at the same level in the house and using the same connection which is really weird. any further help is appreciated.

Last edited by Prog-Rocker; 05-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Carbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Jaycyn

Well, at this point it could be the Fios (which is where I would check first) or the connection between your server and the vent server.

Something to check. When you encounter vent lag, I would use the Network Utility -> Ping tab and send 10 pings to the IP address of your vent server and see what the lag is. If it's high then the issue has nothing to do with Vent and has to do with your connection.