Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Reckoncile

Default "No sound driver is available for use"

I recently purchased a new computer and the installation of vent worked fine. However when I try and connect to a server a error message appears stating:

"Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device.
DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed. HR=DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reckoncile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

what OS are you running?

is the audio driver up to date?

- If you have a brand-name PC, like Dell or HP, then check the manufacturers website for driver updates.
- If you built the PC and use the on-board sound device then check the motherboard manufacturers website for drivers for your model motherboard.
- If you use a plug-in soundcard, like SoundBlaster, then check that manufacturers website for drivers.

Vista/Win-7 ‘User Account Control’

If you are running Vista/Windows-7, try turning off ‘User Account Control’ located in Windows Control-Panel/User Accounts
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Reckoncile

All my drivers are updated and still the same problem. I don't know if it would affect this working or not but i'm running my sound out through my monitor...would that affect it at all?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

running thru the monitor shouldn't make a difference as those are just like speakers and have to connect to an audio device.

in windows/ctrl-panel/sounds: is the device for audio/playback set correctly

in vent setup/voice-binds-speech tabs, is the output device set correctly?

what OS and audio device are you using?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Reckoncile

My OS is Vista 64-bit with SP1, whatever that is....

I guess the audio device i'm using are speakers, i've got vents setup/ binds / speech all set to it as well.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Flagship
Administrator

This error message can be deceptive. Note: That is the way it is reported to me so don't blame the program for the deception.

I just recently upgraded my Laptop to Win-7 and after installing the client it presented me with the same error immediately upon connected to the server the very first time I used it.

I know the sound card and Mic input jack worked from previous OS. So it hit me: The driver for this sound device is telling me that there is no microphone plugged into the Mic jack. I've seen this before where the sound card is intelligent and you can make any port on the back do anything you want it to be. They can also sense whether or not a cable is plugged into the jack and some drivers will say the sound card doesn't have a driver if no cable is plugged in.

As soon as I plugged in the Mic from my headset the error stopped popping up. As soon as I unplugged the Mic and reconnected the error popped up again. Simple validation.

FYI,
Flag