Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
zeytinbass

Default Can't connect to server from outside

Hi all,

My internal IP is 192.168.1.200
My external IP is [undisclosed IP]

I have setup a ventrilo server which I can connect locally without problems with 192.168.1.200 internal IP address. I'm using a firewall and forwarded 3784 to my local IP. I know my forwarding works because from outside I can telnet my [external IP] 3784 and succeed in connection, and I see MSG_CONN accepted in my ventrilo server. However my ventrilo client says contacting server with my external IP address. I can't connect to my ventrilo server even the port is correctly forwarded, is there anything else I should setup?
please help!
zeytinbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Most home routers will not loopback a connection if you specify your external ipaddress or DNS hostname in the Ventrilo Client > Server setup. In most cases this configuration has caused unexpected problems.

can the status page see your server? http://ventrilo.com/status.php

also, configure the portforwarding for 3 entries:

3784 TCP
3784 UDP
6100 UDP

Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Hangman

Default Same problem

I am having the same problem as above...I am using version 3.03 of the server, and I can connect on my local network fine, but can't connect from outside my network. I have forwarded the ports as above (3784 UDP and RDP and 6100 RDP, and I do enough port forwarding that I believe I have done it correctly). I can telnet to port 3784 from the outside, and can see the MSG_CONN messages when I do, so I believe that's working correctly, but neither my own client, nor the "status check page" can connect.

I don't understand the comment about "most home routers will not loopback a connection"? How do I fix this? Or are you saying I just "can't" with my router?

Would really appreciate your help - thank you!
Hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Hangman

Correction to the above...the status page says it's working, but I (nor anyone else OUTSIDE the network) can't connect. I can connect fine to other servers on other networks.

BTW, I have also added separate UDP and RDP forwarding entries as was recommended in another post.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Quote:
most home routers will not loopback a connection
by that i mean the local lan client should NOT be configured to use your external ipaddress or DNS name. the local lan client should only use a local ipaddress or 127.0.0.1

check the vent server pc for any other antivirus/spyware/malware apps the you might have deleted but might still be running as a stub. look in the taskmanager processes and services tab

send me a PM with your WAN address and i'll test from here
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Hangman

ahh, gotcha regarding the loopback issue, I had my internal ip in the client on my internal network, and it works fine. I am able to test it externally via a couple of friends, but I appreciate your offer to test it.

As a workaround, I have set up "logmein hamachi" to create a vpn between my server, myself, and my friends, and they can connect also (but it's a big pain!!), so it has to be a port issue, I am just not sure what to do about it. I find it really strange that the "status" page shows it as "available", and I can telnet to it, but the clients all stop at the "MSG:Contacting server" message.

Any further thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Hangman; 08-03-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

do you have 2 routers on your lan, as in modem/router combo and separate stand-alone router?

you did setup forwarding with 2 entries for port 3784, one for TCP and one for UDP? it sounds like the 3784 UDP is getting blocked since the telnet is able to get thru
Old 08-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Hangman

FIXED!

I found another post that talked about problems with two NICS - I disabled one, and it instantly came up...clearly the issue.

Not sure if that is something that can be fixed in future versions, but for now I am up and running!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

try adding this line to the server.ini file:

Intf=x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the local lan address for the card it should use. then re-enable to other card to test
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Hangman

Tried that, it did not correct the issue...