Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Hepius

Default Can't select destination

I am attempting to install vent on an external drive. I cannot put it on the hard drive as the system administrator has it locked.

When I run the "Install Ventrilo Client" it skips right from "License" to "Installation Type" and skips "Destination Select."

Can I install it on the external drive?
Hepius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Jaycyn

Technically, you could install the application onto any device. However, there are system level files that need to be installed into the operation system level folders, and those folders would generally not be on an external drive.

May we ask why you want to install it on an external drive instead of the normal installation on the startup volume?
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Hepius

I am playing EVE Online at home on my office-supplied laptop. The system administrator had the computer locked down to such a level that I cannot download any applications to the hard drive. (The are concerned about copyright issues/illegal downloading/illegal use).

I have downloaded the EVE client to a flash drive and the game works perfectly. I want to do the same thing with Ventrilo in order to communicate with my friends. However, the install client does not let me select the flash drive as a location. I was hoping Ventrilo (like EVE) would work off of the flash drive.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Jaycyn

That 'lockdown' sounds a little odd - what type of laptop is this?

The installation of Vent adds the Ventrilo application into the applications folder and installs the other supporting files in the

Users->home folder->Library->Preferences->Ventrilo folder

Vent looks for it's supporting data in that folder and if it's not there, Vent will not operate.

When I use the Vent installer and a flash drive is in the USB port, the flash drive (and all volumes) show up in the list. However non boot volumes all have an exclamation point on them (!) and if you try to select anything other than the Boot Drive with the OS on it, the installer says 'You can only install this software on the disk that is running Mac OS X'

Technically you could drag the ventrilo app to the flash drive via the Finder, however, it would still need to be able to access the above mentioned files. So I imagine the answer is no, you can't do what you are trying to do.

Last edited by Jaycyn; 08-04-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Hepius

Thanks for trying.

The computer is nothing special. Just a Macbook. Our system administrator has set the computer to require a password to install new programs. I don't have the password. No ventrilo for me.