Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Gizzmos13

Default Well at least let us use something

I realize that the gsm and speex codec thing is a problem and that many of us still can't use vent properly becuase of this, i being one, i just believe you could allow us to host our own servers with more then a a max of 8 people. This release is almost a waiste because 95% or more of the users can't use it. A simple temporary max limit of say 40 ppl will at least allow us to host the server so we can use the program as intended. I only suggest this because i know how long it took to get a mac release, and i don't feel like waiting to get another release in 6 months to finally allow us to use the gsm codecs. Otherwise, i am glad to see you are at least developing for the mac, great job there.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
titansniper

uhhh there is something called Ventrilo Hosting... did you know you can get 30 slots for 12 bucks high quality in most places..

can anyone say cheap????? come on man lol support good software! atta boy
Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #3
wadesworld

Quote:
This release is almost a waiste because 95% or more of the users can't use it.
It literally takes 5 minutes to change the server. Our guild has been running on Speex for quite some time now, and it rocks.

Wade
Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
Gizzmos13

the hosting company that my guild uses refuses to change our codex for us, no matter how we pleed. They claim that we are paying for the high quality server, and changing to a speex codec version is a waste.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
wadesworld

Quote:
the hosting company that my guild uses refuses to change our codex for us, no matter how we pleed. They claim that we are paying for the high quality server, and changing to a speex codec version is a waste.
You should inform them:

A) They know nothing about Codecs if they think that some of the Speex options don't qualify as high-quality.
B) You are the customer - if they refuse to change the codec to the setting you desire, I'd change hosting companies so fast, it'd make their head spin.

Wade
Old 12-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Flagship
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmos13
Who is this hosting company?

If you don't know then just give me the IP/Port number or the Hostname/Port.

--Flag
Old 12-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Gizzmos13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagship
Who is this hosting company?

If you don't know then just give me the IP/Port number or the Hostname/Port.

--Flag

Were signed up with NRGServers.net. We pay for the High Quality 50 man server. Besides the fact that they don't want us to change, they take forever to get back to you :/
Old 12-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #8
Flagship
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmos13
Were signed up with NRGServers.net. We pay for the High Quality 50 man server. Besides the fact that they don't want us to change, they take forever to get back to you :/
I just spoke with the owner of NRGServers and he assured me that they do not deny requests to change the codec, especially for high quality servers. Low quality servers would get a matching BW speex setting if they requested it.

What is the IP / PORT of the server you are paying for?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #9
grimnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice
My guild uses typefrag.com - they told the person who pays for the Vent server the exact same thing as the first guy ("you pay for a high-quality server, switching to Speex is not recommended")
My guild uses typefrag too, and the person who's in charge of vent for our guild can change the codec whenever he please through the control panel. Still we are using GSM though b/c even though we have several mac uses some of the PCs user can't use GSM for whatever reason. Like one guy's comp locks up when he connects to the speex codec, and our MT's mic won't work ever when we have speex. So looks like we are stuck with GSM. And yes the PC users having trouble have tried the beta client, and differant headsets, but they just can't talk with speex anymore than I can with GSM.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
PopeZaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimnir
My guild uses typefrag too, and the person who's in charge of vent for our guild can change the codec whenever he please through the control panel. Still we are using GSM though b/c even though we have several mac uses some of the PCs user can't use GSM for whatever reason.
Have they downloaded the latest beta version of the Windows Vent client?
Closed Thread