View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Biggsis

Default Ventrilo for Mac is a Memory Bloating Monster !!!

On my Mac Mini, Leopard 10.5.5 (I have another Mac with 10.5.4 where is the same), 2GB Memory, whenever I would like to use Ventrilo (3.01) after some minutes, Ventrilo virtually uses ALL the memory.
Being a programmer myself, looks like a HUGE memory leak to me.
In order to prove this, i made a little screen capture movie for the developers using activity monitor and Ventrilo.
Within the 1 minute the movie is running, Ventrilo bloats to an incredible Memory usage of nearly 800 MB (!!!), only in 1 Minute, just by pressing the PTT button a couple of times.
I wanted to use Vent together with World of Warcraft, but this is simply not possible, since after some minutes WoW is practically not responding anymore due to the fact, that Ventrilo uses nearly all the memory of the system, swaping in and out with WOW, which makes WOW unplayable.
Anyway, this issue would need to be fixed, it can not be, that a simple voice application bloats so much memory.

The memory bloat occurs no matter, if PTT is activated or voice sensivity. Whenever Ventrilo "transmits", the bloat occurs massively.

My configuration is:

Mac Mini Intel with 2GB Mem, Leopard 10.5.5 latest -OR-
Mac Book with 2 GB, Leopard 10.5.4, happens on both computers.

I am using a Plantronics USB Headset, but borrowed a friends Samsung USB Headset with the same result.

To see the screen capture movie that I made, look here:

http://ternoja.shd-net.com/ventrilomem.mov

Maybe the developers know something about this or can help.

Thanks

Henri
Biggsis is offline   Reply With Quote