Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Macintosh Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "failed to get encoder specified codec" (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=40473)

maira 11-16-2009 04:31 PM

"failed to get encoder specified codec"

i've used ventrilo manny times before and a new server from friends is now set; but i keep getting
failed to get encoder specified Codec.
This client platform currently supports only the Speex codec. The server and / or channel is configured to use the 'GSM 6.10' codec.

now i know the speex codec is for mac OSX and the GSM 6.10 codec is for pc... but now i know the person who ownes the serve and have to explain how to change it so it also works for mac OSX...

can some1 eplxain it bright and simple plsss....

thanks

Prog-Rocker 11-17-2009 10:19 AM

the server owner will use the vent control-panel from their hosting company to change the global server codec to speex. (recommend setting to - Speex (16 KHz, 16 bit, 9 Qlty) 4344 bytes/sec)

then restart the server

or

they can create a specific channel to use speex. rt-clik on the channel name / channel admin / edit / set the codec-format

Jaycyn 11-19-2009 01:45 PM

Please see the Ventrilo Macintosh Troubleshooting thread for an detailed explanation and the steps that need to be taken to get you up and running.

rbuck 11-21-2009 12:48 PM

Server IS set to Speex codec

Although the server IS set to the Speex codec, I still get this error message. The Ventrilo client for Mac (version 3.0.4) tells me the sever is set to the GSM 6.10 codec. Again, it is not! I have admin priviledges and I'm looking at it right now! What's up with that? Anyone have a clue?

Jaycyn 11-22-2009 01:26 PM

Where in the client is it telling you the server is set to GSM codec?

Also, when the server was set to Speex, was it restarted?

Finally, are you able to connect to the server with the client, and if so, if you use your PTT button does you icon turn green indicating you are talking?

mjgraf 11-22-2009 01:50 PM

is the server setup for Speex or only specific channels?

rbuck 11-23-2009 12:05 PM

Once in contact with the server ('server is available'), Ventrilo instructs me to click the 'connect' button. When I do that, I get an the error message (see the title of this thread). The full message tells me that the server and/or channel is set to use the GSM 6.10 codec and that the client I'm using (Mac OS 3.0.4) can only use the Speex codec.

I do not know if the server was re-started after being set to the Speex codec. I didn't change the server settings, I only looked at them. It was already set to use Speex. I was able to use the Windows client successfully with this server configuration.

Yes, I am able to connect to the server. I'm able to chat, but no VOIP. I'm not using PTT. My speaker icon does not turn green when I talk as it does when I use the Windows client in the same manner.

I know others are using the Mac client and I wonder if the successful ones have Intel-based Macs? Mine is an older G4 Powerbook. I'll try using PTT.

Thanks for your help!

rbuck 11-23-2009 12:19 PM

I just tried using PTT with no success.

Jaycyn 11-23-2009 01:24 PM

Hmmm, some general strangeness there. I think more information is necessary to troubleshoot further.

Once in contact with the server ('server is available'), Ventrilo instructs me to click the 'connect' button. When I do that, I get an the error message (see the title of this thread). The full message tells me that the server and/or channel is set to use the GSM 6.10 codec and that the client I'm using (Mac OS 3.0.4) can only use the Speex codec.

That sounds like the Vent Admin has you set to go into a default channel that is set for GSM. Check with the admin and see if that's the case.

I do not know if the server was re-started after being set to the Speex codec. I didn't change the server settings, I only looked at them. It was already set to use Speex. I was able to use the Windows client successfully with this server configuration.

As mentioned before, if the default codec is changed, the server has to be restarted. So the settings may say Speex, but it is still using GSM.

Yes, I am able to connect to the server. I'm able to chat, but no VOIP. I'm not using PTT. My speaker icon does not turn green when I talk as it does when I use the Windows client in the same manner.

When you say you are able to chat, but no VOIP? Does that mean you can chat via text chat? If you did not set PTT and it is not set to voice activate (which is sounds like your Windows client is) then it make sense the icon does not turn green.

Start Vent, click the Setup Button, and set your Hotkey to something, say, the command key. Then click the Test button. Press and release your Hotkey a few times and see if the status list says
-- Begin --
-- End --
Each time you press and release it.
Click the Test button again to end the Test.

Oh, also see the Macintosh Troubleshooting steps, #15 as a test.